1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

one finger?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Plaxy, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Plaxy

Plaxy

Nov 3, 2006
    posted this in wrong forum before.... i'm new to bass, really a drummer and sax player.
    I play with one finger.. is there any compelling reasons to switch to two? Any "famous" players only use one finger? (the guys in the other forum mentioned James Jamerson... any others?)

2. VanillaO

VanillaO Poop?

Oct 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    what the crap... jamerson used one finger? I can't believe that at all. (could be true but I doubt it)

You can play a hell of a lot faster with 2. If you're pl aying slower type stuff then I see no need for more than 1, but when you start playing stuff by pretty well any band or artist that people talk about with good bassists, you're going to be needing 2.. maybe even 3 fingers.. and up to 4 for stupid techniques like double-thumbing

3. user101

user101

Oct 15, 2006
    2 is the norm. And 2 is enough. 3 and 4 doesnt make it any faster. I've seen stanley clarke play with 2 fingers faster than any 3 finger player i know of.

One is pretty limited when you come to faster runs.

4. Playing with 2 is probably the best way to go, but you can use 1 finger as a resource to get a more (don´t know the word) "steady" sound. geddy Lee uses this technique a lot. It´s like having a pick but with the advantage of finger sound.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021