One fingered?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Mcrelly, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    lately I've been trying to play some things with just my index finger? when I try to play a consistant rhythm I use my index finger. If I practice more I can get my index and middle finger to have consistant rhythm, but even then I get two different tones from each finger. one is more plucky than the other meatier mellower sounding finger. one has more skin on the tip, so when I can use just one finger I use my index.

side note (sort of): doesn't geddy lee use two fingers together in an single stroke on the strings? but I guess then his style of writing will be taylored around his preforence for this approach.
  2. I'm sure you can tell a slight difference in tone when you're playing alone but in the context of a band situation can you honestly hear a difference? I see people mention this all the time and I just don't see how it's ever a problem when playing with others, maybe I'm missing something *shrug*
  3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I have also noted that the two-fingered technique results in alternating slightly different tones. Most of the time it doesn't really matter, but sometimes I might hit a spot on the string with one finger that produces an overtone. That's very audible, and the trick is of course to shift slightly up or down the string to mute the overtone.

I have also resorted to using just one finger if the difference in tone is too obvious (for instance in a slow blues shuffle where only I and the drummer play).
  4. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    I use my index finger like a pick quite often I get good grooves and decent speed. If I need more speed. Using the index and middle fingers like two "Flesh picks" and getting them both going "pluck, pluck" up then "pluck, pluck" down, gives you incredible speeds! Quicker than picking can.
    And sometimes I use my thumb, index and middle finger and pick like a banjo player. Easier for poping chords and harmonics.
  5. NativeBass

Sep 20, 2003
    So anyways, I usually play with my pointer and index fingers alternatingly, which is the only way I can play fast and do string crossing and what not, though if you talk to certain session players, they say that if you play with two fingers you're playing to much. This is said mostly due to tone differences with each finger and timing. As always though, do what feels good for you
  6. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Uh, do you have 6 digits on your plucking hand man? :D
  7. NativeBass

Sep 20, 2003
    Hehe, well it's a genetic thing. No, I don't I was referring to the index finger and pointer finger in a group titled "fingers" hehehe, I wish though, that'd be neat.
  8. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I started out with a pick and worked in finger-style here and there. Gradually, I picked less, but only used my middle finger for plucking because of the different tones with my pointer finger. The first time I played with a drummer (about a month and a half ago) I didn't pick at all, and because there was so much sound, I alternated middle and index I can't even tell the difference, finger-style all the way!