One for any Nickelback nuts out there....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Ok, I am getting conflicting information about what basses Mike Kroeger used on Silver Side Up. Russ(Xo_Bionic) tells me it is a Spector, whereas I have seen him using only warwicks in the studio. If you;ve heard the track, is it spector or warwick?
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    it was a Fender P.... that's what everyone uses in the studio :p
  3. Lol, apparently he did use a Fender P bass, but I doubt it on that track. He does use dingwall, but only Tobias and Warwick are credited on SSU, yet he used Spector on part of the SSU tour. Apprently he also used Dingwall on that tour. I'm totally confused.
  4. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I thought I read where it was a Warwick (thumb?) on Never Again, at least. I would like it confirmed, however. Awesome growl!!!!
  5. He did use a thumb, fact. Also used several streamers. I got Will(whafrodamus) to download the track, and he thinks it's a streamer stage 2's sound. All those that can, please take a listen to this track, as it is my fave bass tone ever.
  6. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I believe the story is that he used Tobias and Warwick basses on the album but for the subsequent tour he began to use Spectors after falling in love with some American 5 strings... or so i heard somewhere. Bass Player did an article on him a while back, maybe check that out.
  7. Where can I find the article? And what bass in paticular was it on Never Again?
  8. He is (now, at least) a Spector endorsor. He has a few.

The water cured redwood burl bass I posted about in another thread was the third one (if the Spector rep told my dealer the truth...). Mr. Kroeger got the second. The rep mentioned him acquiring a couple other NS-5XL basses as well. I don't know about the past, but it is easy to tell what he will be using for the forseeable future...
  9. Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    He used both spector and warwick - at least that's what I read... somewhere...
  10. I need links to all these sources!
  11. Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    bass guitar magazine... both the spector and warwick info and the peavey and mesa info in the other thread.
  12. How do I find these copies of bass guitar magazine?
  13. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  14. A what? I have found out what basses he was using in march/april of this year(thanks to steve). They are:
    Streamer Stage 1
    2 Laklands
    1 Walnut Burl Spector, 1 Maple Spector(he has more than this I know for sure).
    At least 1 Dingwall
    A pre-gibson Tobias Toby

I don't know how many of those he had when he recorded Silver Side Up, but let's say he had all of them. I'll leave it to you guys to work out which one he used, as some of you will have more idea of what they all sound like. personally, I think it was probably a streamer stage 1, but im most probably wrong.
  15. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    not sure what Mike was using for the studio on SSU but for the Long Road (studio I believe too) but on the road for sure he had 5 Spector 5s (1 fretless) and 2 Lakland Joe Osbourne 5s.
  16. Correct....on SSU he used warwicks in all the pics I've seen. He credits Tobias and Warwick. No others.
  17. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    He also used a Gibson hollowbody.
  18. I thought all Tobys (Tobies?) were made by Gibson, but now you got me confused. Can someone straighten this out for me?
  19. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    For that song I downloaded, it sounded like a Streamer or a Thumb on the bridge PU with some drive.