1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

One for Larry(Hartke)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dakotah, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Dakotah

Dakotah

Dec 21, 2011
    Port Richey,FL
    Am fairly new to this bass thing.Have a LH1000,LC410&LC115and am using mostly J bass.We are CCR tribute band and would like opinion on which way would be best hook speaker hook up.Right now have them bridged,head to the 410 and 410 to the 115.Have tried both ways using also the a and b channels with the balance.Not sure which is optimum for what we are playing and want to get the most out of my equipment. Thanks for any input.

2. You're gonna hear from everyone and Larry on this I bet.

410s and 115s don't work well together, if I understand your statements correctly.

The 115 is sucking the same power but isn't capable of responding the same as a box full of 10s and the 10s are prolly starving. Eventually you'll kill the 115 if you crank the power higher trying to compensate.

Either run another 410 with your existing 410 or pair another 115 with the 115.

I'd go for the 10s though.

3. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    I would try running the LH in stereo and then use the balance knob to, well....balance everything out. This will most likely mean favoring the 410 more.

4. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    Run it in stereo and balance the cabs. Be sure to put the 115 on top so you can listen for signs of speaker distress. It'll be the first to go.

5. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    this :bassist:

6. Dakotah

Dakotah

Dec 21, 2011
    Port Richey,FL
    Will try the stereo hook-up tonight.Will also move the 115 to the top.It's been sounding good to me,just wanting to get the most out of what I have.Thanks to all

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm not a fan of mismatched cabs either, but if it's been sounding good to you, then that's all that matters. Anyway, yes, stereo mode, and use the balance to make output even Doesn't matter which cab goes on top or bottom, either...just put the one on top you like to hear the most.

8. The reason for the 15 in the top position is that it is the weak link in your chain. On the top you can hear it on the bottom the more powerful 4x10 will drown it out.

If you run in parallel mono with on cab per channel don't try to make the 15 as loud as the 4x10. That will just put it in more danger.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Looks so odd to have the 15 on top, though, Paul ;)

10. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    The 1x15 + 4x10 system never looked right anyway. :D

11. Don't mention this to Victor Wooten who is running Hartke 4x10 and 1x15 at the same time. But then again I guess he's a beginner concerning bass playing.

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Being a pro player does not make you a pro sound guy. This horse has been beaten to death a million times over. Just because some people do something a certain way, does NOT make it the best possible way to do it.

13. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Further, the reason Victor is such a skilled bassist is at least partly because he spent all his time practicing on the instrument--NOT studying how amps work.

14. So you mean Victor's bass sound is lousy -- me thinks it is excellent. I can't climb into Victor's head but my guess is that he knows 1000x times more about amps and cabs than all of us here posting on this thread. And if not he has tons of experts helping him out.

Or, scenario in bizarro-alternate world:

Victor's bass technician, Evil Andrew: "Hey Victor, stop using a single 4x10, you will sound much better with a 1x15 and 4x10 with better presence on stage, bha ha ha ha haaaa..."

15. Most of the time in a live performance you are listening to the PA not the amp on stage!

16. Depends where you sit. Victor plays a lot in smaller jazz clubs where I usually sit within a short distance from his setup. It's not exactly a rock stadium environment. Even so, logic would then demand that Victor just uses a small 1x12 for monitoring, why drag all the gear to gigs?

17. I wouldn't be surprised if his 115 is a dummy.

As far as I'm concerned - he's (fill in your own assumptive verbal effusion here) but I don't care to hear him for more than 30 seconds or so. Less really.

Wait - I think I have him confused with Geddy Lee.

No ---- wait --- I don't. I don't care for him either. :eek:

18. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    Regardless if it's the "best" way to do it, if someone likes the tone they get, bravo!

Besides, with that whole mindset of doing everything the best, we wouldn't have gotten muscle cars. Think about it.

OP, the stereo is a good suggestion, try that and toy with it. If you like the sound, use it. If you don't, I'd honestly swap the 1x15 for another 4x10. BUT, do what sounds best to your ears. :)

19. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    No, nobody said or meant that. Try reading at face value. The reason people are down on the 410/115 combo has nothing to do with it "sounding lousy". There is a difference between saying something is not the most effective use of wattage, and saying it sounds lousy.

20. Been here - done it a few times - and I can totally agree that mixing a 410 and a 115 is not the best idea.

BUT a 115/210 are pretty good. I'll still use the 410/115 if the situation calls for it: low volume and trying to impress the crowd with lots of gear on stage.

Sonically, that 410/115 mashup won't be of any use for moderately large venues though - not by me. I'd rather go FOH/DI before I'd do that.