1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

One for the Metallica/Flamenco fans....

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Feb 24, 2005.

1. OK I know this is a guitar piece - NOT BASS - but it's bloody brilliant - these two awesome Flamenco guitarists - Mexican born, Dublin based - Rodrigo and Gabriela are blowing people away - and this is a great example of why; the mix Metaillca's 'One' (complete with double-bass drum riffage), into an equally amazing version of Dave Brubeck's 'Take 5' - it's really worth downloading:

http://www.rubyworks.com/mp3/onetake5.mp3

More here:
    http://www.rodgab.com/

This is one of the joys of my job as I'm always discovering stuff I never normally hear if I was a non-musical member of Joe Public - basically this is brilliant!

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    haha, that rules man! very good stuff!

3. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Great find! Awesome. :bassist:

4. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Awesome! :)

5. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Awesome stuff. Thanks for the link!

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Neat.

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

That is really great , thanks very much for posting that. I have been listening to it over and over for about 40 mins now :D :bassist: .

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I dig how they fell into "Take 5."

9. Yeah it's f***ing cool eh? I was so pleasantly surprised - I'm hoping their PR woman will send me a copy of the album - I love falmenco picking techniques - they have a tendancy to make even Wooten's thumb work look kinda lame! And I say that with the greatest respect to VW - but Flamenco has been around for hundreds of years - proof once again that it's all really been done before - but these guys have something special - I recommend downloading a few more tunes from their website as they really incredible shredders - with taste... ;)

Glad you guys appreciate this.

M

10. Wow, haven't heard One in a long time - almost forgot how beautiul it is!
    Cool stuff.....

11. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Great stuff! :bassist: I'm open to suggestions for other flamenco artists to check out. Paco de Lucia and The Gypsy Kings ;) are about the limits of my knowledge.

12. I got sent the album today and it rocks - I didn't realise Gabriela is a chic! Awesome - anyway I'm going to see them on Sunday in London - should be wicked ;)

13. wow...just...wow

14. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Very cool. I love One and I love flamenco guitar, so this was very cool.

A+

15. Blimey,that's good (that's what i imagine i sound like when i play my spanish) (yeah Right!!). :bassist:

16. MAJOR METAL

I think it is great when you can take the effects and distortion out of a song and here the natural tones of the instruments ring through on a great song like One. :bassist:

17. Can't wait ot see these two live tomorrow - I'll let you know what they're like live - and like you say Major, it's pretty awesome what you can do with a guitar and some mojor talent - the double-bass drum heavy bit they do is incredible...

18. MAJOR METAL

Still very much enjoying it. :bassist: