Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

one for the physics guys

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Jul 24, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    What happens when you get the string height "almost in", and you have to move the saddle angle a little to get the string to sound just right? What is that? Is that torsion on the string? Or what causes that subtle change in sound just around "the spot"?

2. My best guess would be that it causes the string to seat properly. As you say though, a slight horizontal torsion would also have an effect on the vibrating characteristics of the string - which would account for the change in tone.

3. I don't know about this situation, as it's never happened to me, but I believe that piano tuners will twist strings to change the tone.

4. I love overanalyzing stuff! :hyper:

If we're talking roundwounds here, I would think that torsional rotation of the string could have an effect on how the individual windings cross the saddles. The outer windings are helical (screwlike) so a twist on the string might "screw" the string forward or backward across the saddle to allow either the winding or the valley between the windings to nestle on the witness point.

Maybe this is what you speak of?

5. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Maybe, Hard to tell. I haven't used flats in so long that I don't ever remember if they have the same behavior. :)

6. Wow, me too!

I think a larger factor would be the way the winds press against each other when it's turned clockwise (I think clockwise). Deader, maybe. Of course, string twist isn't what this thread is about. This is saddle tilting, I believe.

7. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Well, I did a little experiment yesterday. I left one side of the saddle in place. Then I ran the other side through its range. I noticed something very interesting. The changes in sound appear to be periodic. As the saddle is raised, the string will go first deep, then tinny, then deep again. It sounds like there's about three complete periods in that particular saddle. The string height is only changing by a small amount as that one side of the saddle is raised. I can't think of any reason why that behavior should be periodic (other than the string winding suggestion that Hambone mentioned). Thoughts?

8. could be the string is being twisted, making vibration less free- , then it slips back becoming clearer, then gets twisted again.