Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

One fret at the 21st fret position on a fretless bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lewis7789, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Lewis7789

Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    Hi guys. I've got a made in Mexico Fender Jazz fretless. I was wondering if anyone has ever put one fret in the fingerboard at the last fret for slapping? It would give it a fretted bass tone, right? I love playing fretless, but I would really like to be able to get a good slap tone out of it too, instead of switching to my fretted Jazz.

Has anyone ever tried this or would it be a waste of time and money? I certainly plan on keeping this bass, and being it's pretty inexpensive, I'm contemplating this experiment.

Thanks for any replies.

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I've seen a bass online that has a last fret there...I say its a good idea...

3. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    It would have to be filed down to nearly nothing or even with the finger board otherwise many (possibly most, depending on neck relief) fingering positions behind it would be useless due to the string buzzing/fretting out on the higher surface plane of the fret.

A better option is to have an extemely hard fingerboard. I have a friend who slaps on his Curbow (not Cort) fretless all the time. The Curbow has an extremely hard board and it sounds just like a fretted bass (when slapped).

4. Lewis7789

Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    Oh yeah, It would have to be nearly flat or else everything I played on the fingerboard would buzz unless I had some crazy neck bow, like you said PhatBasstard. Damn, foiled again.

Guess I'll have to wait untill I hit the lottery to buy a bass with an ebony fretboard I can slap on.

I do like those basses with the first 12 frets and everything after is fretless. Ahhh, wishful thinking.

Thanks for the help guys.

5. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I've seen the recent ad for those. Ironicaly, the girl in the ad, whose endorsing them, is on my old gig (Cynthia Johnson/Lipps Inc.) from when I lived in Minneapolis from 84-86.

Believe it or not, about 20 years ago Peavey had a neck like that as an option on one of their basses. A T-45 I believe.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    They also have slap plates you can put at the end of the neck that fit even with the surface of the f-board, and you can use that to get the sharp slap sound.

7. Lewis7789

Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    So the plate would look something like Gary Willis' "ramp" on his Ibanez, but made of metal? That's a good idea. I could probably manage to make one. It will be tricky to find some brass though...

8. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    ive seen it been done and seen it been used well but i cannot give any advice on the matter other than it can be done.