1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

One good bass - selling everything else.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jul 31, 2012.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    So the other night I was getting ready to engage in a long (2 hr) practice session at home. Usually I use my Squire Jag shortscale for home practice, but since it was going to be a long one, I decided to just use my Stambaugh. Then it hit me as I was practicing. Why am I not using the Stammie for everything?

For a while now I have kept my Jag on a stand right by my easy-chair for easy 'grab and play' and kept my Stammie in its case except for rehearsals and gigs. Not anymore. Now the Squire Jag will go into the case and the Stammie will be used for everything. I have a few other basses that I rarely play including some SXs and my geddy. They just don't hold a candle to my Stambaugh so I see no point in keeping them. I will keep the Jag as my backup but it wont see any playing time unless my Stambaugh has an issue, which is highly unlikely.

I should have done this a long time ago. :rolleyes:

Here she is...

stambaugh1-2.

Anyone else just use one bass for everything?

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    That's the way it used to be growing up: one bass for everything. Now I feel better having a 5-string for church and I use my 4's for most everything else. I could live with just the 5 string....(goes away pondering....)

3. theretheyare

theretheyare

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing: Arkham Vacuum Tube Amplification
    well glad you managed. Hope to get there, one day

4. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I guess there are guys who say I need this bass for this sound. Luckily, I dont have that problem. I have one tone for everything... a one trick pony... kinda like my playing. :ninja:

5. That would mean selling my basses and looking for an all around go to bass that covers everything these do..I am in 2 bands, 5 Flavor Discount, which plays everything from Motown and 70's funk to classic rock and pop hits of the 80's-90's. My other band is an 80's hair band tribute fun project called Pozer. In Pozer i use a Yamaha Attitude LTDII and a Jackson JS3. In 5FD i use a Fender Jazz and a Music Man Sterling. I have tried to swap basses between bands and it just isnt the same. The jazz and MM are great for that RnB tone where the Yamaha and Jackson dont quite get that vibe. I could most likely just use the MM in both bands, what would a hair band be without a pointy headstock bass or a Billy Sheehan bass?:D:D:D:D

6. jweber76

jweber76

Aug 10, 2011
    Attleboro, Ma
    I am a bit of a gear - monger and just play all my different basses just to play something different. Different basses for different venues and I switch at least once often twice throughout the night, just to do it... In truth (I'm gonna take a beating for this) aside from using different tunings I actually try to keep all my axes sounding about the same.

7. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Hey, whatever works for you guys. :D I guess I'm lucky one tone works fine for me. I've used this bass in a rockabilly band, 80s band, 50s band and I'm currently in a cover band that plays everything from Billy Idol to GnR to Weezer to Springsteen and the Stones.

I think a big part of the reasoning for me is that this Stambaugh is a really nice bass. Cost me $2000 but it is so well made and sounds really nice.... nothing I've tried in the last 3 years I owned it even remotely compares.

8. I completely understand. Since receiving my FBB, I've sold two basses, have three more up on the block, had a GAS attack and bought a 1981 Aria Pro II that I thought would take up some of the playing time usually spent on the FBB (didn't happen).

Today I got a call from Mom&Pop shop that a new reverse Jag bass is on the wall. I hinted at them a month ago that if one was in stock, it would sell quick (wink wink) but I really have no use for it. It would sit in the case then I'd sell it for nothing.

When some of us find "the one", it makes cheating on it almost impossible. And it's kind of liberating seeing the empty wall space once consumed by way too many toys for my socio-economic status.:D

9. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Sometimes I think that way...but I spent the first 22 of my 25 playing years using the same bass. Mostly because when I wanted more I couldnt afford it and when I could afford it, I wasnt playing much. Now that I do play alot, I have 5 basses and all get decent playing time gig-wise (cept the fretless...thats an every now and again bass) Just got a Steinberger XL2 and still have a couple more I would love to get while I am young enough to enjoy them!

10. JonKim

JonKim Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2011
    My Warwick streamer does everything but right now it's in the process of being refinished so my cheap fender mim jazz has been a great backup for 3 weeks!

11. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Bassist....

Keep a back up. I own two basses. My number one bass has a cracked neck now and If I didn't have a back up, I'd have a problem.

12. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Sure will. The Squire Jag goes in the case... probably won't be coming out for a long, long time.

13. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    For years and years, I just had one bass, my '80 Ric 4001. I loved it and still do.

Then came TalkBass.com

At first it was just one more - a Fender Jazz. Then if I had a Jazz, I couldn't hardly not have a Precision. So on it went. I've settled at six plus a "work bass", but just having one anymore would kinda be a bummer, as I enjoy the variety.

Have fun with that Stammie. Its beautiful!

14. It's great to settle on just one. But I use more than one that have very different sounds, because I play in very different situations. Stingray HH 5 for rock; '78 fretless Precision for jazz situations that don't allow an upright; and '51 reissue Precision with Seymour Duncan pup and flats for blues/oldies situations. Upright for everything else.

15. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    You're such a radical. ;) I could be happy with just my Super J, but I sure do enjoy variety!

16. My Squier Jag is my go to for everything at the moment. I thought about putting some flats on it to change things up a bit. But i'd like to have standard P for that as a go-to when I want that sound.

Like someone said above, i'm a gear-monger as well, nothing gets sold, nothing goes un-used!

17. ChrisPbass

ChrisPbass

Jul 18, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    Fretted jazz w/rounds, fretted P-bass w/flast and one fretless...so....
    flats/rounds/fretless!

18. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    I have often thought of keeping one bass and selling all the rest. Currently, I have 14 basses. For whatever the reason, I can never pull the trigger.

19. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    I'm a one bass guy for like 8 maybe 9 years now. Been playing the same bass since I bought it new in 2000. At the time of purchase it was like number 5 or 6 in the herd. All the others were sold off with in a few years as they were no being used at all.

Took a little longer to thin the herd on amps & cabs though. :D