Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ONE good use for Tab

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by blipndub, Jul 27, 2000.

1. ..besides watching your girly figure.

I'm learning a Bach cello suite transcribed for bass. It's not especially difficult, but somewhat complex and I basically learn about 4 measures every couple days.

Last night I was struggling through a bar due to a difficult reach. I had blotted out the tab below with a piece of paper but ended up peaking and found that the phrase was played in the second position rather than the first and second combined. I was bothered by my lack of instinct to move to the second position but the reminder was well taken and I breezed through the rest of practice.

Lesson learned; maybe we shouldn’t dismiss tab altogether as at times they can be helpful as an augmentation to notation reading skills. In general I still think they are the trash television of music.

GKon and jallenbass like this.
  2. Licketysplit

Licketysplit

Mar 15, 2000
    I agree with you. Too many guitarists and bassists are trying to get away with just reading tab. I read standard notation and tab. Tabs are more geared towards beginners (in my opinion) or people who aren't too serious about music. Don't get me wrong though I use to rely exclusively on tab when I started, but i soon learned to read standard notation. When used together, tab and notation together are the best way to read music.

3. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Dec 25, 2011
    Canada
    I have a cello transcription. Way better

Lownote38 likes this.
  4. I have a time machine. Even better still!

Lobster11 likes this.
  5. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Until the director hands you a sheet of fake chord sheet music. I've never had a director tab out a song for me and I've never been handed a sheet of standard notation sheet music by any director I've ever worked for. It's all fake chord. Lyrics and chord names and you are expected to compose your own bass lines.

Everyone, in the bands around here, work off of fake chord; the keyboard, drums, lead guitar, rhythm guitar, fiddle, bass and all the vocalists.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016