One Great, or many very good?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pedulla-2007, Sep 18, 2021.

1. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    Now that my career is over, and as I sit back in my recliner, I often wonder, if I would do things differently. Is it better to have experienced many good basses in your arsenal, or perhaps just one or two 7,000 basses? It took me 20 years to even feel accomplished enough to buy the caliber of a bass such as a LEJ. My closet is full of Fenders, Modulus’, Roscoe, Pedulla, Warrior, and Warwick basses. But I wonder if I should have just saved for an Alleva,or a Fodera, or an Elite Ken Smith? Any other members feel strongly one way or the other?

dbsfgyd1 and DJ Bebop like this.
  2. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I think that at least a part of the answer is depending on what kind of person you are. It's now nearly one year since I bought one stellar bass and I've parted with basses I thought I'd never part with in rapid succession.
    Some people enjoy having multiple basses to bring for the occasion more than having the one that rules them all, though.
    I can imagine buying another bass in the future, but it'll be from the same builder that did my current bass,
    so we have a common ground to talk. I might express some wishes and they can tell me what is possible.

Gothic, pedulla-2007 and kesslari like this.
  3. pedulla-2007

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    Out of curiosity, what would be your bass of choice, or your money maker?

4. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Mine is a Le Fay Karlsson 6.
    And Le Fay would be the builder I'd go to.

57pbass and Groove Doctor like this.
  5. graphics1988

graphics1988 Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    How would you know which brand you would fall in love with, had you not tried and had them all?
    I'm just an afterwork, weekend noodler...but I've had/have numerous mostly high end basses.
    Some brands, guys call their Holy Grail yet I didn't bond at all with. Nothing in particular was bad or odd...but just as a whole, it didn't WOW me. (Fodera being one)
    The ones I am holding onto for as.long as I can play, would be the Pedulla MVP 4, and my two Skoljd Slayers....and possibly keep one Dingwall Super PJ.
    If I was forced to sell everything but 3 or 4...those would be left. I do have one Femder CS P bass that is beyond special for me. ...so maybe that one would end the keepers.
    Everything else, I could sell without crying for an overly long time. Had I not tried all the GAS brands, how would I know my keepers? I think your way is the only TRUE way of waddling them down to a handful.
    I've never tried a LeFay...or a Gould. I've wanted too...but I have not gassed much lately. Maybe I'm sick.

31HZ and DJ Bebop like this.
  6. pedulla-2007

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    Just listened to an evaluation of a LeFay Herr Schwartz bass and it was inspiring. I’m afraid to ask how much they are?

el murdoque likes this.
  7. Gustopher

Gustopher Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2018
    SWVA
    Whatever makes you feel good. Play what you like. I have one bass now that I play all the time and never touch anything else. I only take it to gigs and I only practice with it, I personally don’t like having multiple basses because it bothers me to neglect them. Some people love collecting them and that’s cool, but it gives me anxiety.

BobDeRosa, CrawlingCarpet and smeet like this.
  8. Whale guy

Whale guy

Jul 12, 2018
    I don't know. I have never played a $7000 bass, so I wouldn't know what I was missing.

9. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Get the one

10. joelns

joelns

Mar 10, 2014
    Whether or not you're missing something is a question only you can answer.

For me, the answer to that is that I play what I like. I currently have 3 basses. They're all nice in their own ways, even the MiM J Bass. That J bass though has the same tonal center as another bass, so I'm considering converting it to fretless. I have the tones I need for situations I find myself in, and I have basses that I enjoy playing.

If I start questioning my selections, I'm just going to add anxiety and thoughts in my head that are negative and will cause issues with my own playing. But that's me. We're all different and need to do what's in our own best interest.

Peace and gear contentment on your journey.

OldShark and 31HZ like this.
  11. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    I have tried a $7,000ish Warwick Streamer, a $6k Spector USA, and several other expensive basses. None of them were worth it to me. Sure, the paint/wood finishing is amazing and they feel wonderful to play, but I like the models below them and so does my wallet. I don't feel I am missing anything by spending less. The tone is quite similar and not worth thousands extra.

You will not know what you are missing until you try it. On the flip side, if you enjoyed playing the basses you have, then don't worry about it.

12. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    To me it’s a tool. Many variations is no problem for me.

31HZ and joelns like this.
  13. ItsmeSantiago

ItsmeSantiago

Nov 23, 2015
    If you play a variety of gigs, having one bass could be tough. For me, if I was gigging like I was in the past, my P bass could have gotten me through 95% of my gigs. I paid $700 for a CIJ Fender and have never regretted it. However I had Stingrays and fretless and shorties mixed in with all of those gigs, so that’s easy to say now that I’m away from that scene.

I owned lots of basses because I couldn’t figure out my sound. Took about 18 years before I settled on the P as my main instrument. You could go crazy thinking about what ifs with gear.

14. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    My music tools are appropriate for the task at hand. Nothing anywhere near $7000.

During the late 80's well into the 90's, in an effort to chase the holy grail of tone, I tried quite a few boutiques and even owned a few. They were all excellent instruments but I realized they were more of a pride of ownership concept to me than superior tools. The law of diminishing returns became evident to me.

I've since purged myself of the idea of boutiques and find I can play just as well and sound just as good using instruments I can buy for well under $1000. One of my favorite tones comes from a bass I bought for $25 at a yard sale several decades ago.

Dr Zee, EdO., Groove Doctor and 2 others like this.
  15. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    Tough call ! I wish I would have found “the one” right out the gate but they didn’t happen. Some find it in a P bass and others In a 10k Alembic. If I could do it over I would just have a Jazz bass as well as a Warwick thumb and that’s it.

Rebel Rocker and DJ Bebop like this.
  16. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Seattle, Wa
    I have found that unless that $7000 bass does exactly what your after, they are not better than an other high quality bass. I have some basses I bought used that were originally over $7000. 2 are Alembic basses. I quit gigging with The Alembics when I found a Mike Lull for $750. My best score ever. Then I gigged with a Nash, it was used for $950. That bass was retired after I found a Music Man Sterling for $700. I have a MTD Kingston that cost $120 and an other $100 for a better pickup. That bass is as good as all the others. it’s not about the price sometimes.

My father has this rich friend who is a whine lover. He will drink $500 bottles of wine with no hesitation. The biggest joy in his life is when he finds a $20 bottle that is as good as that $500 bottle. I have found that basses can be approached the same way. It helps to know what your looking for.

My philosophy is, so many basses, so little time.

17. Fernando Costa

Fernando Costa

Aug 4, 2013
    Lisbon
    Having three 2k basses is better than having 6k one, and it's also better than having six 1k basses, or twelve 500 bucks basses like Squiers (Yes, I know there are great Squiers). I find 90% of everything I need in 2k instruments. It works for me.

18. My idea, is, many basses.

Owning/playing many basses increases your frame of reference.
    Our frame of reference is what we all draw upon when comparing anything.

The more basses you play, the more you'll be able to tell a great one.

Money not withstanding, I would rather have a few good basses rather than one pearl.

Why?

Variety.

I love my Stingray, but I would never want to give up my Gibson SG bass.

Mike :thumbsup:

pedulla-2007 likes this.
  19. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I used to own and play many basses and I learned what I liked and didn’t like. Now I only want one (which I already own) and I’m starting to liquidate all the amazing instruments that I just don’t play.

20. I've always lived on a budget so that Ken Smith type of talk is out for me.

But even if had the money, I found no matter what I played, I always sounded like me :) This was on a lot of high-end basses, so I bought budget basses and decided to work on me. Now that I'm better (I think :)) I'll go and look again at high-end basses and see if they now add something to my sound, probably still sound like me only hopefully better :)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021