Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

One head 2 basses...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Sep 2, 2003.

1. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    O.k., got a strange question. Just got a Eden WT800, love it. I play a Spector and Rick and gig with both. When switching between two basses I need to make adjustments to my head for each bass or it sounds like crap, major adjustments. Spector is active Rick is passive, at first glance it should just be a volume issue. Should I have to do that, is that normal? Am I doing something wrong is there a way around this?

2. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Does anybody else have this problem?

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I used to. I got an eq pedal, left it off for the active bass and turned it on for the passive bass.

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
  5. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    you can have 3 different basses plugged in at once, set the levels before hand and then just switch between them.

6. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    I have just the same problem. I have a Warwick Streamer ProM modded with Seymour Duncan basslines pickups and an aguilar preamp (using 2 9v batteries) -in other words; VERY active, and a Fender Jazzbass 1962 reissue, passive.

I have a WT-800 too, and I get the same problem; I mostly play the amp with the Jazzbass, and when I plug in the Warwick I get a VERY different sound.

Shouldn't be easy, eh? :rolleyes:

greetings from Norway

7. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
  8. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    You can get two tech21 RBI's and a footswitch, have each set for each guitar to sound the way you like and switch guitars and hit the switch. you can run them before the regular input on your eden or run them through the loop.

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You're assuming that EQ settings for one bass automatically will be fine for the other. As you've discovered this is not always the case.

Until about 1980 most amps had two full preamp channels with separate volume and EQ for each. Today almost noone makes such an amp. Walter Woods and the Eden Metro combo are the only ones that comes to mind.

There are external preamps with two full channels, Raven makes two different models.

You might try setting the amp up for the passive bass and then take advantage of the onboard EQ of the active bass to make the needed volume and tone adjustments.

10. J the D

J the D

Mar 22, 2002
    Bradenton, FL
    I switch between the Fender Jazz and the upright quite a bit using a GK RB400. My amp nees to be set totally different for each. I have a footswitch to change basses but have to manually change the amplifier settings, very quickly. I am thinking of trying the Raven PMB-1 with the separate EQs. Still will use the footswitch for the upright.

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The Raven Labs gear is great. I am very happy with my MDB-1. I run my URB, ABG, and wireless output through it. I use the same wireless transmitter on all of my electric basses. I use the on-board EQ's to tweak my electric basses so that they all sound good through my rig. My ABG has a good on-board EQ, too, so it's not a problem. I run my rig pretty flat, and about the only tonal adjustment that I have to make "on the fly" at the amp is when I switch to URB, I crank down one of my parametric EQ's on my Navigator to reduce feedback (if necessary).

One or two of those MXR graphic EQ pedals might help you out if you are not able to correct with your on-board EQ's.

Tom.

12. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    The main problem is we are a cover band. I play the songs in the correct tunings, which means a bass 1/2 step down and one standard. The sets are arranged where it's easier on the vocalist so guess who gets screwed. Thanks for the replies I guess I'm trying to find a way to do this without spending a ton of cash. Would a DI like the MX 80 work for this. I need a little distortion and maybe by setting to eq's flat on the head I can make small adjustments on the pedal an basses to compensate for volume and tone?

13. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It's not so much a problem of volume as it is your input gain. Because one's active, it's sending a hotter signal through your preamp than your poweramp.

There are a lot of different ideas, but from what I've heard thus far, this option might be your best bet...

http://www.tonebone.com/bassbone_pr.html

[​IMG]

14. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    What about a two channel eq board? Could this do it, have a channel each set up for each bass and run the eq on the head somewhat flat?

15. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Has anybody considered using an EQ board for this delema? Would it work?

16. I run an ADA MP2 tube guitar preamp in my rack and have a different bank for each bass. SO all I have to do is switch basses and swith banks. Just takes a second.

17. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    one of my mates uses a Warwick and a Peavey and uses a Yamaha NE1 with different setting marked on for the differnt basses... just hast fo turn a couple of knobs.... it works a treat.

18. I use the Raven Labs MDB1, and route it through my pedalboard before my SWR's preamp input. I use the "Active" input. On the pedalboard is a Sadowsky Outboard Bass Preamp/DI adjusted to EQ my passive basses (Lakland Skyline Glaub and F Bass passive BN6). I just footswitch it off when using my active bass (F Bass Studio 5).

With a bit of work at setup time, I don't have to touch anything else during each gig when changing basses other than pressing the mute buttons on the MDB1. And I have 3 different DI out options (MDB1, Sadowsky, SWR) depending on the needs of the sound guys.

It is a bit of a pain in small venues to keep the instrument cords from tangling when changing between the 3 basses, however!

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The M-80 might work really well for this. It has 3-band EQ and can be run clean or distorted. So you could set the EQ on your amp for one bass, then use the M-80 for the other bass by having its EQ adjusted for the other bass (leaving the amp's EQ as is). That way, you can turn the M-80 off for the one bass and on for the other, using the separate distortion channel as desired. The only drawback might be is that I think the distortion can only be used when the effect (EQ) is on.