1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One hell of a first gig! (With new band)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Andy419, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Andy419

Andy419

Aug 13, 2007
    Well I've been playin bass for around 5 years (I'm 17) and I was in this cover band for a lot of my middle school career. We definitly had our good times (8th grade was peak). Our lead guitarist was in another band with his 2 cousins and they need a rhthym player and singer so they chose my band's rhthym guitar. Over the last 2 years they have grown so much more dedicated to that band and our band just hasn't been practicing or playin many gigs at all. We haven't officially called it quits, but I think it's kind of a mutual agreement (except our drummer for some reason wants to keep it going).
    Well about 3-4 months ago my friend who plays guitar really tried to get a band going and he chose my friend who is a bass player/guitar player to play bass and my other friend to drum. They jammed on and off with some guitarists but none seemed to wanna commit and also the drummer (who is one of our best friends) didn't wanna be committed. Well my friend decided to step up and sing and play guitar, have the bass player play guitar (which he is really good at), and have me play bass, which I was more than glad to do. We had a gig booked about 2 and a half months in the future (which we played 2 nights ago) and we couldnt have a drum set in the place so we decided to just get someone who could keep beat and have them play the conga.
    This proved an awesome lineup, and we started getting our 30 songs around (plus 1 original which we played). The time came and we were ready to play our first gig after 2 1/2 months of practice. Man, we killed it. We just nailed it and the crowd loved us and we were just on. I was so much more excited for that gig than I had ever been for that other band because I finally got to play songs I wanted and in the style I wanted. It felt so good to make $140 plus $126 in tips!
    Now the crazy part is that I guess one or two of the members of Peter Paul and Mary (popular 60's folk band) were there that night because they were on their way to Texas and they stopped to get something to eat. Apparently, they LOVED us and wanted to get one of our phone numbers to contact us and gave my guitarists/singers aunt some of their info. That's crazy awesome for us.
    The only negative part was that after the gig our conga player (who is primarily a guitarist) said that playin the conga wasn't really for him and that after the shows we have scheduled for this month he's gonna leave. But it's really not that bad cuz even tho this guy is really cool, he just doesn't quite fit in with the rest of us, and now one of our best friends who is a drummer is ready to commit and be with us.

2. Richo

Richo

May 26, 2008
    Sydney, Australia.
    Im sorry, i tried to read it but you really need to learn to use paragraphs. I can't read that wall of text as is.

3. Noy

Noy

Sep 9, 2008
    Guernsey
    tl;dr:

- he was in a band that nobody could be bothered to commit to because one of the guitarists was more committed to another.
    - The drummer wanted to keep the first band going.
    - A new band formed, with TS as bassist.
    - In the end, they ended up playing a gig, which they absolutely nailed, despite the drummer having to play a conga because there was no room for drums.
    - TS made some good money.
    - Some famous people were there and took their details because they loved their set.
    - Drummer / conga player is gonna quit, but it's ok because they have someone else lined up to drum.

:)

4. that is great!! And Peter Paul and Mary! cool!!!! congratulations!!

5. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    thanks. i hate reading.

6. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    what kinda music was it?

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    See if this is a bit more gentle on the eyes/brain:

I've been playing bass for around 5 years (I'm 17). I was in this cover band for a lot of my middle school career. We definitly had our good times (8th grade was peak).

Our lead guitarist, who was also in another band with his 2 cousins, needed a rythm player and singer. He chose my band's rythm guitarist to be in their band.

Over the last 2 years they have grown so much more dedicated to their band and our band just hasn't been practicing or playing many gigs. We haven't officially called it quits, but I think it's kind of by mutual agreement (except our drummer for some reason wants to keep it going).

About 3 or 4 months ago, my friend, who plays guitar, really tried to get a band going and chose a couple of my friends (bass/guitar player and drummer) to start the band.

They jammed on and off with some guitarists but none seemed to wanna commit. My friend then decided to step up and sing and play guitar, have the bass player play guitar (which he does very well), and have me play bass. I was more than glad to join the band.

We had a gig booked about 2 and a half months in the future (which we played 2 nights ago) and we could not have a drum set in the place so we decided to just get someone who could keep beat and have them play the congas.

This proved to be an awesome lineup. We started getting our 30 songs together (plus 1 original which we played). The time came and we were ready to play our first gig after 2 1/2 months of practice.

Man, we killed it. We just nailed it and the crowd loved us and we were just on. I was so much more excited for that gig than I had ever been for that other band because I finally got to play songs I wanted and in the style I wanted. It felt so good to make $140 plus $126 in tips!

Now the crazy part. One or two of the members of Peter Paul and Mary (popular 60's folk band) were there that night because they were on their way to Texas and stopped to get something to eat. Apparently, they LOVED us and wanted to get one of our phone numbers to contact us and gave my guitarist's/singer's aunt some of their info.

That's crazy awesome for us.

The only negative part was that after the gig, our conga player (who is primarily a guitarist) said that playing the conga wasn't really for him and that after the shows we have scheduled for this month, he's gonna leave. But it's really not that bad because even though this guy is really cool, he just doesn't quite fit in with the rest of us. Now, one of our best friends, who is a drummer is ready to commit and join the band.

I suggest that the OP pay more attention in his English classes.

8. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Just a question, if you're drummer was ready to commit, why did you have a guitarist play bongos? I've done that in a pinch before at open mic's but it was only b/c our drummer couldn't make it. I feel like if the drummer couldn't have a whole set, it's still a rhythm instrument. But maybe I'm being sterotypical.

Awesome to hear there were important people in the audience though! I hope you get some kick ass gigs from them!