1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

One hellav a classic movie!!! Yea

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jawbone, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Jawbone

Jawbone

Jul 15, 2010
    Humboldt County
    Wow, just finished watching The Band's Last Waltz. Little OG Kush and some good CA red wine - lordly mamma, good golly miss molly! Wooohooo!!!

2. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Watch out for Neil Youngs cocaine-lined nostril. Iconic moment of cinema.

3. MetroBass

MetroBass

Mar 26, 2008
    South of LA
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    Best gathering of "wasted" rockers ever.

4. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    The overdubs sadden me.

5. I've always enjoyed that movie. It has a great energy and the idea of being "The Band" and being responsible for backing so many iconic musicians in Rock's arguable most significant era is awe-inspiring.

That move and that group have established an idealized model in my mind of what being in a band is all about. Making GREAT music with GREAT musicians (although I do think Robbie Robertson's leads are somewhat forgettable...)

Stinsok - tell me about these overdubs... I never paid that much attention to that detail. Are there a lot?

6. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    In my eyes, that was a better show than Woodstock!

7. Woodstock has it's moments - and diverting a little off topic, the latest release of much of the unreleased stuff from Woodstock is pretty damn amazing.

Back on topic - I've always loved the look of that theater they are in and how intimate the show seems to be. That really has created the ideal 'big show' picture in my mind. While I think I'd love to experience the huge arena thing once before I die, I'd much prefer a big-ish, small theater gig where you feel so much closer to the people you are connecting with on and off the stage.

Joni Mitchell is amazing in that show - and in general...

8. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    The original audio is mostly Levon.

9. Jawbone

Jawbone

Jul 15, 2010
    Humboldt County
    Great summarization. Over dubs? - missed them.

10. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    One of the few DVDs I own and watch. Somehow it gets better with time.

11. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Just watch Rick Danko for the overdubs.

12. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I've never seen the whole movie though I did read Levon's Book, "This Wheel's on Fire"s and if memory serves there were a lot of recording mistakes or mistakes in the performances combined with Robbie's ego which lead to everything except Levon being overdubbed, solely because he refused.

13. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    I don't think Levon even knew about the overdubs until he saw the screening. He didn't need to be overdubbed though, being Levon. That's a great book, by the way-I would recommend it.