Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

One hit wonders that should have been more.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jul 28, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    One word... Devo.

They are such a great band, yet they are only known for Whip It. But they have so many great catchy songs, nice simple polyrhythmic stuff. And the Talksing style of singing.

Well, are their any one hit wonder bands you feel are much better than that?

2. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Tool, I guess.

Yea, they're played on the radio plenty. I saw the Parabol/Parabola video once, on MuchMusic, and MTV played the Schism video a couple of times when it had just come out. Lateralus (the record) debuted debuted as the number 1 record in the country.

But to pop culture, they were only a presence 10 years ago, when Sober was released. But I think that's intentional.

A lot of bands that have huge fanbases are one-hit wonders. The Grateful Dead, Nine Inch Nails, Jane's Addiction, maybe Primus (I can only think of My Name is Mud, but I'm not too into them, so correct me if I'm wrong).

3. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Eeep. I don't consider any of those one hit wonders. How about The Verve? Bittersweet Symphony? They made that one cd and then broke up. Could have been good, I think.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Easy - Blind Melon. Cool songs, cool groove, and a dead singer. What else could anybody ask for?

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Oh, and how about Type O Negative? Hit with "Christian Woman", but nothing else has made a blip.

6. New Radicals

7. I'm dating myself here but..
    Argent - Hold your head up
    Sugarloaf - Green Eyed Lady

Both great bands with talented players.

Note: DId you know that little girl from All in the Family, Danielle Brisbois, was in the NEw Radicals?

8. I couldn't agree more.

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Raw

10. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    yeah, green eyed lady, what a great tune

11. dumnut

dumnut

Oct 6, 2002
    Victoria, BC
    Semisonic. Saw them live. great, great band.

12. Blink-182...more like 3 hit wonders,I mean...I like there old stuff better,but they coulda been so much more...stupid side projects...

The Used...I hope they make another CD,they're a pretty good band:)

-Jon:oops:

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Didn't Sugarloaf also have a hit with "Don't Call Us(We'll Call You)"? Or is that credited to Jerry Corbretta?
    Whatever, it is on The Best of Sugarloaf cd.
    ;)

And-
    Someone recently dumped all their vinyl on me...two copies of Sugarloaf's 1st album + a copy of the follow-up.
    There's definitely nothing that sounds like "Green-Eyed Lady" on either record...there's some Blues-y tunes & a couple that actually remind me of Yes(believe it or not).

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Michael Jackson.

15. Crowded House - "Don't Dream Its Over". Neil Finn doesn't write "hits", he just is one of the best song writers out there right now IMHO and FMM (for my money).

The "Wonders" (or the Oneeders) - "That Thing You Do" - ok, it wasn't a hit, but it was the movie about a one hit wonder group.

16. Kruser

Kruser

Aug 13, 2001
    Germany
    I saw that movie "that thing you do" recently here in Germany.
    They had this Idea of the Name "The Wonders" but wanted to be cool and called themself
    "the Oneeders". The funny thing is they were called "the O-Needers". I found that quite funny.............

Soundgarden with "black hole sun"!
    I really liked it. Wish they had done more stuff like that(or something as good)

17. Yes Sugarloaf did have the tune "Don't Call us" but I'm not sure it charted that high to be officialy a hit. That song steals/borrows the Tax Man rif in the chorus. Fun tune though.
    I can believe they have a "yes" like tune, back in those days it was okay to have 10 min. instrumentals. Loaf had a great keyboardist too.

18. fuel?

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    It was "I Feel Fine"...or am I having one of my spells?
    Sugarloaf knew what they were doing; they mention sounding "like John, Paul, Ringo, & George"(or something to that effect) in the lyrics to "Don't Call Us".
    :)

(I'm pretty sure "Don't Call Us" was Top-40...maybe Top-20; I'll have to check).

20. You are correct sir, my bad.