One Hot Minute

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The Red Hot Chili Peppers now try to forget this album exsists. They are practically ashamed of it. In interviews they said they didn't like working with Dave because things didn't flow easily. It took so much extra work to put this album out.

Uh... so they hated making this album because they had to put thought into it? All I know is that really comes through on the album. It's incredibly well thought out, and yet it somehow sounds "jammier" than their other stuff. Kudos to Ruben on this one.

Also, The Chilis are such innocent (well not really) free spirit types. Dave Navarro has a demonic edge that he brought to the band. Every song sounds very experimental, a lot of layering too. I like that, but as a three instrument band (Kedis' vocals are NOT an instrument), that would sound pretty rough live.

This is, hands down, the greatest Chili album. Every song is fantastic, I cannot say this about any other of their albums.

Side Note: Walkabout's intro sounds very Zappa, which is very cool.
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I really like BSSM but I definitely can't say that every song on there is fantastic. Never heard One Hot Minute. Maybe I'll stream it on Rhapsody.

brad cook
  3. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Anthony warned me about people like you Matt. Filthy, I say!

No, I actually like that record, and check out chad smith's picture in the booklet. Whew! That's a hunk of a man.

I actually have the european version of the record, I'm not sure what's different about it though, from the US release.

I like "Shallow Be Thy Game", "Falling Into Grace", "Aeroplane", "One Big Mob", "Coffee Shop" and you know, "Pea." That really should go unsaid though.

I vaugely remember Anthony saying that Walkabout was his favorite song on that album. I could be very wrong about this though.
  4. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I to absoulutely love this album. I'd still say that BSSM beats it out for their best but for me its tied with Mother's Milk. The last truly good Chili's album in my opinion. Since John came back they've mostly traded the old funk for pop in my opinion :crying: .

I love the drawn out ending of coffee shop. Brilliant :eek: .
  5. HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA

6. Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I think its a great album too, Matt. I'm not sure its my favorite because it is different from the others - almost apples/oranges type thing. The old albums with Hillel on guitar were great because he was such a great musian. I think Frusciante (sp?) does OK for what they need, but don't get inspired by his playing. One Hot Minute was actually, for me, the only album since Hillel died that didn't absolutely need Flea to be musical.

I think Flea must have enjoyed playing with Navarro because he went on to play with him in Jane's Addiction and projects but clearly the other guys didn't like the effect of another strong musician coming into the mix.

Ironically, the By the Way album is now my favorite, and its got Frusciante playing on it.
  7. I had all my RHCP albums in a CD case that I lost. One Hot Minute, Californiacation and By The Way are the only albums I have right now.

OHM is a little weird, and I have to be in the right mood to listen to it, but I love it.

But Matt, BTW helped Anthony really improve his vocals.
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    ha, 3 times through, I kept reading
    , as But Matt, BTW, helped Anthony really improve his vocals. Like I improved his vocals, as opposed to the album. :D

But that's another thing that I like about OHM, Kedis actually impresses me! He shows off quite a range. Even at the end of Transcending he starts screaming, and it's spine tingly for me at least.

I've noticed a lot of people like albums that just flow, like a band could pop in a studio with no idea what they were doing and in a week have a hit album. But OHM took Chilis like 2 years to make! And the fact that it was a struggle should have made it all the more rewarding. I've read so many bad reviews of this album from idiot critics saying "oh songs like my friends are just attempting to continue the Under the Bridge mainstream sucess." Bah, bah I say unto critics!
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    From what I read-
    Navarro spent countless hours pouring over the minutia of his sound/tone.
    Some may call that 'perfection-ism'.
    Face's Rock ' N' Roll. It's only supposed to be but so good.

How many YEARS passed between BSSM & OHM?
    Bands from back-in-the-day put out TWO albums per year...many were/are considered Classics, too.
  10. wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    I really liked One Hot Minute because of the Navarro influence and the difference between it and BSSM. In fact I had to recently dig it out for a listen, because I had something stuck in my head which I thought sounded like Janes Addiction, but was in fact the "three pounds of love inside my skull" bit of the title song.

I think Navarro's approach to guitar and all the stuff that was going on with the band at that time gave that album a darker, trippier feel to it than anything else they've done, with stuff like Warping and the last 4 tracks being very dense and different to what they'd done before. And yet they still manage to crank out the funk thang on stuff like Deep Kick, Coffee Shop and Walkabout, and throw in Tearjerker and My Friends to round things off. If I was them, I wouldn't be embarrassed about it, I'd acknowledge that it was a strange time, and working with Dave was a different thing.

I can remember seeing them playing festivals with Dave Navarro, and for Give It Away (which they opened with), Anthony was also playing guitar. I guess Dave's guitar playing style wasn't really suited to the Chilis' jamming approach. I notice that since John's been back in the band, there's been a lot of between-song jamming going on. Just a shame that they don't seem to want to play any of the earlier stuff - I want them to play all those Mother Milk classics! Where's my Sexy Mexican Maid!?
  11. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I know a lot of people who don't like One Hot Minute, but I love it.
  12. My favourite chilli's album...Mother's Milk.

That general era was cool.
  13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    This was the first chili peppers album I ever got, followed by freakey styley.(how's that for a polar shift)

Eitherway, I still enjoy one hot minute quite a lot, all the songs have this certain vibe to them that is difficult to put into words, but it's very smooth and enjoyable.

and walkabout kicks ass.
  14. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Explosive album, I highly enjoy some of the tunes, others are quite annoying IMO. Too "forced"? I dunno.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Their are some magical moments on the album but i like by the way better.
  16. I've listened to several of their cds, and I just cannot like this band. I have tons of respect for them and all, just could never feel it.

And the next time I hear "under the bridge" again I'm going to kill someone.
  17. steal-o-matic

Apr 11, 2004
    iv heard most of the chili peppers albums and this ohm is my favorite
    the groove of this album was great
  18. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Definitely the darkest, trippiest and heaviest album the Peppers have ever made. I like it a lot. You can't argue that Navarro's a damn fine guitarist. I love the title track for some reason.
  19. I am a fan from the beginning...I saw RHCP in a really small club in 1986. No one knew who they were, but the guy from the school newspaper was hip, and he was also in our band, so he clued us in.

Anyways, BSSM is my favorite, I think it is one of (if not *the*) best record of the '90s. The sounds, the playing (save Anthony's vocals), the spirit of stuff like 'Suck My Kiss' and 'Sir Psycho Sexy' really got me. It was a fav of mine for a long time.

Having said that, when One Hot Minute came out, I was like, cool, they got heavier, but the more I listened, the more I was convinced that BSSM was the pinnacle of their career. I really like stuff like 'Coffee Shop' , 'Shallow...', etc. but overall I think BSSM is 'better'. Navarro just isn't funky, and RHCP is all about funky, so...

What about Uplift Mofo ??? I like that one, 'Funky Crime' is an all time favorite of mine, 'Me and My Friends' is cool and wacky. They still had the really crazy spirit that they had up until Hillell Slovak died.

Incidentally, I saw RHCP 2 nights in a row in 1988/89, Fishbone opened and blew RHCP off the stage. Hillel was already gone, sad to say.
  20. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    If you were like me, you were starved for another album.
    I don't dislike OHM...though I just put a bunch of the RHCP onto my mp3 player & must say Mother's Milk is quite happenin', more so than I remembered.

Somewhere(Guitar Player?) I recall reading Navarro saying '...Funk is stupid/dumb music'.

In addition to Funk, the RHCP are about Punk....i.e being 'raw'.
    Tweaking one's every note for a couple years in post-production doesn't seem to fit their M.O.