Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

One hot minute

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Julien, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Yes i like it!!

29 vote(s)
    82.9%
  2. Dave navarro sucks!!

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. Julien

Julien

Dec 29, 2001
    Paris,France
    the red hot seem to reject this record but in my opinion it's maybe their best album or second best...
    what about you?

2. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    well, i don't think dave sucks, but that got my vote, considering the album. i liked his stuff with jane's addiction, and i like the rhcp's stuff before that. and it could've been that i expected too much from that cd, but i bought it the day it came out, listened to it, then set it down. i gave it the benefit of the doubt and picked it back up about a week later, and it quickly got put back down. ohm just never settled well with me...

jdkh

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I look at this album as... well... another band. I think to myself... this isn't the chili peppers... it's flea, anthony, and chad playing with dave navarro... and the album becomes cool. Plus... ya gotta love Coffee Shop! :cool:

4. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I like One Hot Minute, it's a great album. It's a departure from Blood Sugar Sex Magik, and if you were expecting BSSM again I can see how you'd be very dissapointed. Californication was different as well; even though Frusciante was back in the band.

Give One Hot Minute another listen, and try not to expect BSSM or Mother's Milk; there's some really good stuff on there.

5. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I love it!

6. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I also love it.

7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Hmm....

One Hot Minute was good, but I rate BSSM and Californication above it.

8. Its a great album!

I dont think of it as a Chili Peppers album though. More of a Flea, Anthony and Chad side project. I dont think Navarro, awesome as he is, suited the Chili's at all, his music is too dark and he is too much into production and layering, so the album was over produced. Thats not bad, it is an awesome album, but its just not a Chili Pepper album.
    Jim

9. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    It is probably my favorite (I like MM & BSSM too and some of Californication (not all of it)). It definately is different than other chili peppers. It does sound a lot like Janes Addiction minus the annoying in every way Perry Ferrell and with added cool basslines. But it is still chili peppers in spirit though (just a little harder and less funky). Warped is a killer song ( and probably their most heavy) as is Coffee Shop and Transcending, plus the bassline in Aeroplane is one of Flea's funkiest.

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Lots of great songs on it: Deep Kick, Warped, Walkabout, My Friends, Coffee Shop. I like Dave Navarro, he's a great player, has a great image, has a great vibe. I like him right behind John as my favorite guitarist in the RHCP.

....And I'm a pacifist, so I can F*** your S*** up

11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Oh and the reason the RHCP reject the album, is because Dave pulled a Jimmy Page in the studio and just overdubbed and overdubbed the songs, so they are very difficult to play live.

I've always said that there is a such thing as overproduction. :cool:

12. Ozico

Ozico

May 5, 2002
    Marlboro NY
    Also the Peppers don't play the songs cause Frusciante never listened to the album and won't play them cause its not his soul and music on those tracks

13. Except 'Pea', they play that one.
    Jim

14. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    they don't do aeroplane live?! that's a shame.

that's my favorite RHCP album. aeroplane and walkabout are some seriously funky stuff.

15. Thats an amazing album. It was the last good album by the peppers. They seemed to have lost the funk with californication and now theyre slowly slipping into john frusciantes vision instead of the chili peppers vision. I like dave navarro, but I do understand that he wasnt right for the band even though One Hot Minute is an amazing album. Personally I think he did a much better job than frusciante has done on the last two albums. What I find really annoying is frusciantes ego and his whole approach to Navarro; its almost as if he really resented him and was rather jealous. Frusciante always struck me as a guy that was never really all there. Did amazing stuff BSSM though.

16. It's the first time the Chili Peppers had any direction to their sound... and for that it rocks.

17. DareDevil

DareDevil

Feb 17, 2002
    Southport, FL
    was the hardest of the chili peppers albums, some Rock stuff... I kinda wish they would Rock some more..

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah almost every song on that album you can count 3 guitar tracks going at the same time. That's rough for one guitarist to pull off live. But the fact that they were more funk metal than they really ever were on this album was kinda promising, then Frustaine came back and they went to wuss funk... which is kinda cool. But I like my funk like a little more agressive. Like I prefer Parliament to James Brown and Old Incubus vs... New Incubus.

19. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

is this frustaine guy the bastard son of dave mustaine and john frusciante or something? :p

20. I love this album, its up there iwth by the way, bssm, californication and freaky styley. it always intimidated me, the level of musicianship on this album is astounding, like a bunch of session players wrote it. some great songs. shame john wont give it ago, but what John says goes.