Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

One in paint

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by budman, May 14, 2005.

1. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    An ST SS - 4 in tangelo metal flake...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Painted finished aren't usually my thing, but that doesn't look half bad. Combined with your body shape, it kinda reminds me of something the bassist for a hair metal band would play :p. I really like it, though. The front looks especially nice with the inlay route with no pickguard layed in. I'm assuming you are leaving it this way?

3. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    That paint job's not my thing.
    I'm much more interested in knowing about that white PT 1.5 I see to the left in the first photo!!

Jon

4. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    It's getting an aluminum diamond plate pigkguard and control cavity cover. I've dubbed this bass "Bloody Knuckles". :)

5. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    That's a custom job I'm doing for TB'er Lowtone. I don't know if you'd like that one either. That's the white base for a gold ghost pearl paint job. Here's Joe's gallery:
    http://www.lowtones.com/LeCompteJSSM/

6. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    in the words of the illustriuos Joe Dirt..."DANG!"

i really like that. that body design is really cool too. cant wait to see it finished up.

7. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    *Stunned*

Is applying a metal flake finish any different to applying a metallic finish?

8. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, it is. Metallic is much smaller and usually mixed in with a color. Metal flake is much bigger and generally added to the clear. The flake is heavy and doesn't cover as well as metallic paint. It wants to do a lot of funny things. Both have to be clear coated though.

9. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Thanks! I'm thinking about maybe building a bass now I've got a working amp and a couple of working basses. There's some awesome Vampyre bass bodies from this Brazilian guy on eBay, might buy one of those and finish it in a metallic colour. Would be hard, but if it all buggered up I could sand it down and do it in a solid colour, or maybe just stain it, or even just use a clear coat.

10. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    So you are covering the neat contours with diamond plate? Blasphemer!

11. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    You betcha!...and it's gonna be a funk machine! :D

12. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    that thing is gonna look great, not my style, but great none the less. Especially with that diamond plate inlaid flush. Killer.