1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

One is more than enough.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Scionreality, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Scionreality

Scionreality

Dec 18, 2007
    Akron, Ohio
    My drummer entered us in a battle of the bands recently. I don't really like them, but it turned out to be a very fun show.

This battle apparently had judges. One guy with "30 years experience in the business." We weren't worried about competition so we did a normal show. At the end of the night the bands got little sheets of paper with comments about our performances on them.

I just want to share the above-mentioned judge's best comments.

First, I brought three basses for three different tunings. The guitarist also brought three. Judges comment: "Did you -really- need three basses?"

Second, I sang backup to three songs. One was a simple harmony, the other two were mostly the same notes just for reinforcment. "Backing vocals were not neccessary."

By the way, another judge complemented our tasteful backup vocals. :)

I don't know, I guess I just wanted to share that. We got a good laugh out of it.

2. crimson_basser

crimson_basser

Jul 9, 2008
    Montreal
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    looks like he couldnt find anything bad in your performance, but isnt man enough to admit that someone else is good and/or possibly better than him.

id take that as a huge compliment :)

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    How long was your set?

Riis

4. Scionreality

Scionreality

Dec 18, 2007
    Akron, Ohio
    Half hour set.

And crimson basser, he also said that the three of us needed to interact more. Everyone said we interacted enough without getting tacky except that judge and... the screamo bands.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that either. :)

5. crimson_basser

crimson_basser

Jul 9, 2008
    Montreal
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    pretty sure that seals the deal

6. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    So you swapped out basses twice within a 30" set?

Riis

7. Scionreality

Scionreality

Dec 18, 2007
    Akron, Ohio
    Haha, thanks.

And as for swapping, I swapped after the first song, played the second until the last song. So it's not like it was a game of Musical Basses.

Although I have had to do that. :/

8. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I have to admit, to anyone who wouldn't know you were using the basses for different tunings, playing three basses during a 30-minute set could come off as... well... pretentous for lack of a better word.

That being said, to comment on how many instruments you used in the context you described seems a little out of line, as does the comment about not interacting enough. I mean, weren't the judges supposed to be evaluating how you PLAYED more than how you looked? If you played three basses in a 30-minute show and played them all well and the whole band was groovin hard with strong material, seems to me that pretty much covers everything.

9. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Judges take into consideration presentation, execution and continuity amongst other elements of the performance.

Riis