1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

one jazz recording that changed how you thought about music?

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by chuck3, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Can you identify one jazz recording that changed how you thought about music? I think I can, in my case. May sound a little vanilla, but it was the Oscar Peterson Trio's album "West Side Story" in 1962, with Ray on bass and Ed Thigpen on drums.

I was 10 years old at the time. I'd had piano lessons, played drums in the school band and started teaching myself guitar, so I'd played some instruments. More important, the West Side Story score had been on the record player (yes, the record player) nonstop since 1957 when the show came out, then moreso in '61 when the movie came out, as my family was *very* into musical theater.

Don't know if you're familiar with what Oscar, Ray and Ed did with their version, but they basically deconstructed and reconstructed 7 of the West Side Story tunes on their album. While Oscar is of course amazing and Ed is totally solid, Ray is the "x" factor on the album. Still some of the best bass playing I've ever heard.

Since I already knew the material well, their album doing that material in a completely different way had a huge impact on me as a 10 year old. It was somewhat stunning to me. I learned how to take something that seemed written in stone and think it through differently, musically.

And I will add that that album perhaps more than any other made me want to be a bass player. Although within a year or so the Beatles were on the scene, and Sir Paul sealed the deal in that regard. Anyway - just reflecting. Is there one jazz recording for you that changed how you thought about music?

Garagiste, marcox and Tom Lane like this.
  2. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

Abbey Road, Jesus Christ Superstar original Broadway recording, and Kind of Blue, in that order. Many, many since then.

chuck3 and Chris Fitzgerald like this.
  3. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    For me I'd have to say "Kind of Blue" and "My Favorite Things". Super French vanilla with vanilla chips? But my mind has been blown by albums so many times I've lost count.

If not limited to jazz, "Dark Side of the Moon", "Sargent Peppers", and "A Night at the Opera" (Queen). And John McLaughlin with Shakti. And Zappa. And King Crimson. Oh my, there's a lot.

chuck3 likes this.
  4. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Beyond genres and beyond anything that mere mortals had ever heard coming from one little man with an old Martin guitar: Michael Hedges, "Aerial Boundaries"

chuck3 and gebass6 like this.
  5. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    I suppose I could mention every album that Miles did with P.C., with a special nod to Cookin'. But I think I'll mention Suntan by Michel Camilo.

Back in the 80's, when I was in my late teens, a drummer friend played me a tape and said I had to check it out. He said it was "some French piano player, Marc Johnson on bass, and Dave Weckl on drums." I scratched my head as we listened, because I had never known Marc Johnson to play electric bass. Regardless, I was absolutely blown away. The incredible rhythm section work and the Latin/fusion grooves really hit me. My friend gave me the tape, and I played it over and over through the years, wondering who the "French piano player" was so I could buy more of his albums. I always wondered if that wasn't Anthony Jackson on electric bass. The music on that tape changed my approach and how I sounded to others.

It was only a few years ago that I was reading something that mentioned Michel Camilo and his approach, and as I read it I said, "This is the guy!" I found him on YouTube, and bought Suntan and a couple of others on CD. It's interesting that it almost sounds different to me now that the mystery is taken away, but I still love that album, and would put it on my "desert island" list.

chuck3 likes this.
  6. I heard "Round About Midnight" by Miles when it came out and it called to me, though I was a child.

chuck3 likes this.
  7. XontheP

XontheP

May 24, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    It wasn't a single song, but we were smoking up in the high school parking lot in about '77 and a friend put on Return To Forever's "Music Magic". Never heard anything like it. Stanley Clarke playing bass like I never heard it played before. That led me to Weather Report, then Miles, then...

chuck3 and gebass6 like this.
  8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    There were many amazing influences, but if the question is identify one jazz recording that changed how you thought about music, then I'd have to say Chick Corea's Three Quartets. Hearing that for the first time blew my mind. I'd never before considered improvising in a language that sounded to me like Bartok's language, which always struck me as a celebration of carefully constructed joyful dissonance. I guess in retrospect, that record opened my eyes and ears to dissonance as a body to be embraced rather than a weapon to be wielded.

51USPNPOsFL._SY355_.

Other incredibly influential jazz records include:
    Bill Evans Riverside collection set
    Jarrett Trio Standards recordings
    Fred Hersch trio Dancing In The Dark

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    chuck3, Sam Sherry and dhm like this.
  9. LowG

LowG Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Chico Hamilton - The Dealer
    Came across the LP in a dollar bin, picked it up just because. I was young and just getting into jazz. It introduced me to a whole different approach to bass playing (Richard Davis on there). Very influential on my approach and taste. Still one of my favorite albums.

damonsmith and chuck3 like this.
  10. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Light As A Feather, Chick Corea

11. Radio

Radio

Jan 8, 2010
    New Haven, CT
    I'd like to say Kind of Blue, but wasn't hip enough at the time to realize what it represented.
    Mine was Bitches Brew.

old spice and chuck3 like this.
  12. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"

oren, dhm, tsheldon and 4 others like this.
  13. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Probably, Dave Brubeck - Take Five ...............first heard it as a kid back in the 50s and it's really stuck with me ever since.

Live version

Album cut.

damonsmith and chuck3 like this.
  14. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh

Apr 16, 2001
    ICT
    Jazz-wise: Miles Davis' "Decoy", afterwhich Dave Holland's "Triplicate" and Ornette Coleman's "Song X".

chuck3 likes this.
  15. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
    When I was 14/15 my sister's boyfriend brought over to the house a copy of Miles Davis's Sorcerer saying he couldn't get into it. I put it on the turntable and listened, turned it over and listened, then turned it over and listened. I repeated that for at least 6-monthes. ... That's when I understood that music is a conversation and not just a statement.

oren and chuck3 like this.
  16. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh

Apr 16, 2001
    ICT
    +1.

17. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    - 1. This has always been a bad analogy - conversations contain too much extraneous material for good music, it leads to material in the music that is just about acknowledgement "yes, I heard that, I am listening", parroting back phrases and the like and detracts from the structure.
    Building something together and staying on task is a better way to think about it.

My picks:
    Jazz:

Free Jazz:

dhm likes this.
  18. Sean Riddle

Sean Riddle Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Ventura, California
    The first Liberation Music Orchestra album has been a big influence on me since I first listened to it.

dhm and Tom Lane like this.
  19. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    Miles Davis E.S.P and recently The Columbia Sessions
    John McLaughlin Birds of Fire
    Stanley Clarke Journey of Love and School Days

Sam Sherry likes this.
  20. Jmilitsc

Jmilitsc Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2013
    Fairfield County, CT
    What a great thread! For me, just barely getting introduced to jazz by a teacher, I was still playing electric only, it was "Something for Lester" by Ray Brown with Cedar and Elvin. specifically the tune "Slippery".

It was beautiful aggression, melodic and lyrical while also digging in rhythmically. I had never heard (or paid attention to) anything like it till then. It was part of what led me to scrounge for an upright, change colleges and career paths. I always knew I would I guess, but this album began my lifelong quest to listen to, learn and play jazz. Not my profession at this point, but the journey continues!

dhm and Lee Moses like this.