1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One last Christmas party gig, Chain O Lakes Bar Waupaca WI

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by WI Short Scaler, Dec 16, 2018.

1. So let's start by saying BassCliff has set a high standard for gig reviews, and this one will fall short of his in a couple categories. First, it's in Central WI so no exciting hotel views or exotic locations. 2nd, this time of year it's dark when I leave for a gig and dark when I come home so no driving photos. And 3rd, no food photos. We were slated to start at 8 pm, and even though we arrived at 6 pm we had to slowly load in and do set up in small steps as we worked around the dinner crowd and table cleared out where we would set up.

As for the gig, we billed it as an "ugly sweater/fun holiday apparel" party. Our lead singer/cajon player went all out with a hilarious Grinch sweater, some santa pants and a beard! I added some strings of Christmas lights to our mic stands, got a santa hat and a cheap necklace of Christmas lights to match. Wore my favorite Griswold Christmas Vacation jersey and away we went.

Crowd was very into it so even without much dancing there was a lot of singing along and even requests for more when we were slated to stop at midnight. The bar owner took great care of us and threw in some extra pay for a great night. All around a fun gig here in the small time music scene.

48268970_10217078192580626_1397941168276242432_n.?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent.feau1-1.

Some video...

And totally unrelated, on Saturday we attended our son's graduation from University Wisconsin Stevens Point, great accomplishment for him.
    48404142_10214218148187995_3087505247241764864_n.?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent.feau1-1.

A great weekend for this old guy, lots of couch time today to rest up.

Thanks for reading!

8guy, Rebel Rocker, SWRnut and 26 others like this.
  2. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    Great report and gig! You guys sound great, love the vocals and song selection. Thanks! And congratulations on your Son's graduation.

Mark

WI Short Scaler likes this.
  3. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    California
    I'm sitting here reading your gig report (good, thanks), and the Sharks are up 4 to 3 at the United Center.

4. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    where the heck is Waupaca? I've played some remote 'sconie towns but I'm not familiar with that one

5. :laugh:
    Waupaca is about 1/2 hr east of Stevens Point, or 45 minutes west of Appleton. The lead singer/cajon player and guitarist live there. I now live I Wisconsin Rapids, about 40 minutes away, but I lived in Waupaca for over 20 years too. Most people have only heard of Waupaca because of the popular Chain of Lakes vacation area.

formulaz and mikewalker like this.
  6. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    No food shots ... but I particularly like "Fallin" by the Beatles. Vocals and guitar work was quite good. ;)

7. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Played a gig at the U of W in Stevens Point many moons ago

8. bkirk

bkirk

Oct 2, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for sharing that one! Band sounds great and congrats on son's graduation!
    On a side note, the guitar player I've worked with for the last 40 years lived in Waupaca for a few years. His wife is from there. I'm guessing he may have played at this place as he goes back every year or two and jams with his old band mates.
    Bruce

9. My son is the newest UWSP alumni to our family from there which made it even better, my father in law and my dad graduated from there and so did I. I've played a few gigs there back in my day too but it's been awhile.

I lived there for 22 years before moving to where we are now. Depending on the age of your guitarist friend and his wife I wonder if I know them? Small world indeed. This bar was known as "The Roost" and had been closed for many years before being re-opened as the "Beach Club" in the late 80's, and now it's Chain O Lakes. Maybe he'll recognize that name?

8guy likes this.
  10. Looks like a good time. My grandparents on my dads side owned a lot of land in Waupaca. They retired from jobs in Chicago and Waupaca was oddly their version of Florida. Had some great times there as a kid.

11. bkirk

bkirk

Oct 2, 2003
    Austin, TX
    He moved back to Texas in around '77. He played there when it was the Roost. "Rooster at the Roost". As he says, John Hiatt closed for us at the Roost. :)
    BK

12. Milw_Chad

Milw_Chad

Mar 28, 2018
    Cool gig report, beautiful part of the state. Wife is from Rapids.

Do you do trivia?

13. I used to, in college days, haven't for many years.

14. Robscott

Robscott

Mar 20, 2017
    Tonbridge UK
    Great BVs! Well done, good post

15. Thanks, but what's a BV? :woot:

16. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    I played a wedding in Waupaca on New Year's Eve about 7 years ago. The bride/grrom booked us a scary hotel that we were the only guests. At the end of the gig, the groom said they didn't have the balance of our pay (after deposit), even though they booked us a good year in advance. I held firm and they ended up giving me the money that had to pay the hall, since they were locals, i figured they could square up with the hall Jan. 2.
    It was the only hotel I stayed in where I had our guitarist ask were we going to get killed in our sleep...lol

17. I used to play a Chain-o-Lakes bar in Waupaca with a singer named Janet Planet back in the 90s.
    The owner had bar in Florida in in the winter. Wonder if it was the same one?
    The place was always packed, with a party ready crowd, small world.
    Not recorded at the same joint, but .......live ......
    Janet Planet - Live At Cactus Jacks - Common Ground

8guy and Medford Bassman like this.
  18. Robscott

Robscott

Mar 20, 2017
    Tonbridge UK
    Backing Vocals, sorry - is that a British thing? Anyway, sounds great!

19. I haven't lived there in about 17 years but I'm there often and I can't think which hotel would have been that scary. Any memory on a name or location at all, I'm intrigued. :smug:

Unless I'm mistaken I think you are talking about the Clearwater Harbor Bar, on the Chain O Lakes. That lakes area triples in population in the summer and yes that place is always packed. I've played there and it's almost impossible to have a bad gig there. I know the owners went to Florida but didn't know he owned a bar down there. Probably the same place. Was there a paddlewheel boat parked outside for cruises? If so, that's it. If I remember correctly Janet Planet used to always play the end of season/closing party every year. I was probably at a couple of those gigs you played at.

I'm not sure it's a British thing, but I hadn't heard it said that way before. Thanks for saying it. That is my main "happiness" with this group. No loud drums so we try and concentrate on our singing overall. I sing some leads too but that wasn't included on the video this time, no worries.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    8guy likes this.
  20. Yes the one with the paddlewheeler is the one, one of my favorite gigs, though quite the drive from Milwaukee.