One last Q before I jump on it...(Lakland)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, Aug 1, 2004.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I´ll get my hands on some money in the next two weeks and gonna buy a new bass. :cool:
    It comes down to the Skyline hollowbody or a Rickenbacker 4001v63. Im leaning towards the Hollowbody right now. But I would like to know how it behaves in a dense rock band mix?
    Is the sound focused and defined or just a fat mushy lowend?
    I want to be able to hear myself. So far the only basses that give me that is a P-bass, the Epiphone Casady and the Rickenbacker.
    A j-bass does not cut it for me and I wont be able to try the Hollowbody before buying.
    please help me decide! :meh:
  2. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    You could find a used '62 reissue P and run SD Quarter-pounders on it. Or a maple neck P with Fender Original P pups. I have a maple neck P with those pups and D'Addario EXL 160's (.50-.105 nickel rounds) and it'll move walls.
  3. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    i wouldnt go hollowbody for rock.......just a lil to warm sounding, and rickys just.......they have that sound for rock/metal
  4. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    But the Epi Casady I owned once was perfect. It not hard rock more like Bruce Springsteen rock.
    I still want the Lakland. It looks so sweet. :bawl:
  5. Hollowbody vs. Ric

Just to throw in my opinion. I just got a Hollowbody (USA) but I have tried the Skyline many times and they sound extremely similar. I only got the USA versus the Skyline because I got a great deal on a used green one and I love green. I have found the Lakland Hollowbody to be an amazing instrument. Forget how cool it looks. The sound is simply tremendous. I play rock, blues, motown, even play with an acoustic group and this bass does it all. For a passive bass I was astounded at the variety of tone you could get out of the bass. As far as heavy metal goes I can't say. I don't think the Ric is good for that either. I will point out that on the cover of the July issue of Bass Player Magazine Black Sabbath's Geezer Butler is holding a Lakland Hollowbody so I guess he likes it. No matter what you play this bass will cut through. I have had some excellent musicians tell me that the bass has really great tone. I know it couldn't be my chops so it must have been the bass. Any bass player that has tried the bass, fell in love with it. If you choose the Hollowbody be prepared for people to stare at you and ask you "What Kind Of Bass Isss That?". I love mine and am so thrilled I got it. I also have a 69' P Bass, a 62' Jazz RI and the Hollowbody wins hands down.

There have been many post about the Skyline Hollowbody and they are all very positive reviews. Good Luck
  6. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Now thats what I wanted to hear! ;)
    I will order a sunburst Skyline asap. :bassist:
  7. You won't be sorry. Make sure you get the new model The older one has a solid black back. The newer model has Sunburst on both sides it looks sooooo much better. If you haven't tried Bass Central for a quote you should give them a call and speak to Gard. Tell him I told you to call he is a great guy and Bass Central is a very reputable place. Just ask anyone on Talk Bass.