1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One last SVT debacle: SVT-CL vs SVT-VR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Noseferatu, Apr 18, 2010.

1. SVT CL

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. SVT VR

15 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. Noseferatu

Noseferatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
    Ok, so, I've posted like, 5 different threads on this subject and it's been Cl vs Pro-2 and Cl vs something else, blah blahhh, but I've narrowed it down to either the Cl or the VR. As I said before, I want that classic gritty, but not really distorted kind of rock tone. Budget is not a deciding factor. Also, does the brigth channel on the VR do anything that spectacular?? And has anybody ever tried to bridge the normal and bright channels.

Here are some examples of my sound.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    either will get you where you want to go, but i slightly prefer the vr because it feels more "open" to me when i play. still, if i didn't already have a vintage, i'd probably have a cl because you can buy them used for cheaper ;)

i have, indeed, bridged both channels, and it's fantastic if you want to blend effects and clean signal. i don't do it anymore, though...too much of a hassle to find the y splitter, and i figured out how to eq it to sound like my blend.

3. Noseferatu

Noseferatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
    OK cool. I think it would be interesting to bridge the two channels. I just wasnt sure if that would be pushing the amp too hard or not.

4. Noseferatu

Noseferatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
    Also, due to the VR not having a gain knob, wouldnt you have to crank the hell out of it to get that sound?? Forgive me for being a noob, I've been playing for 7 years and I've never owned a tube amp lol.

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, in a VR (or a vintage SVT), bridging the 'normal' and 'bright' jacks doesn't offer any benefit.

bridging channel one to channel two can offer a bit more tonal flexibiltiy but i always just use channel one.

regarding the VR vs the CL, IMO, they're both nice amps, but the VR sounds a bit bigger and more open to me, and it does the classic SVT grind thing perfectly.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    yes, but the preamp gain knob on the cl has an overdrive that may or may not be to your liking. honestly, i prefer it from the vt pedal over cranking the gain on the cl.

7. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    I normally run my svt with the gain set on 3-4 and my master around 5 or 6. Sounds nice. It defiantly has a darker tone than the vr. I love the vr but it doesnt breakup until its crazy loud.