Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

One last timre (I swear): Genz Benz vs. GK

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, May 16, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I know I've gone on and on and on about which rig I'm going to get, but I'm finally almost ready to complete it, but I'm in a cross roads. Here is the sitch. I've owned a GK 410 RBH since last October. I was planning on getting a 1001RB-II to go along with it, but I ended up being majorly impressed by the Genz Benz stuff I tried. So two weeks ago, I drove out to the other side of Missouri from Memphis, to get a Genz Benz 610T-XB2 for $550, which is a very good deal. I've had a Genz Benz GBE 600 head in layaway for about a month or so, and I still owe $600. While in Guitar Center yesterday, I came up with the idea to apply for a store credit card. They said if I were to get a cosigner, I'd likely get approved. I'm in good with the assistant manager there, and he's always willing to help me out on deals. So I could pick up a GK 1001RB-II for about 600-650, if I were to get a approved for the card. If I were to stay on the Genz Benz path, I'd have the money in probably about two-three weeks, pending the sale of my GK cab. So what sounds like my best choice? I love the tone and feel of both, and although the GK is more powerful, the Genz easily matches it in volume.

~Patrick

2. Man, I'm not even going to comment on your equipment choices... you do what sounds best to you.

However, don't get sucked into the buy-now-pay-later bit. Bassists ALWAYS g.a.s. for new gear. It's like being addicted to drugs; only legal. My advice? Save up 'till you can afford to buy.

Good luck.

3. Just as the rich rule the poor, so the borrower is servant to the lender.
    Proverbs 22:7

Obviously, you should save up and buy the GK amp. :smug:

4. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    You already have a 4X10RBH, I say get the 1001RB so you can use it to it's full biamp potential.

I had a Genz Benz ML200 1X15 combo. It was a boom monster :( , the unvariable tweeter sucked, and the 3-band EQ was very lacking. I guess the head and 6x10 wouldn't have these problems though.

BTW Daniel Elliot, in a couple of weeks I'm gonna be getting a 1001RB 2X10 combo. I'm vibrating with excitement. I've been ampless for too long now.

5. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I like the GBE series amps from Genz. I've never been a big fan of the GK pieces tho so I'm probably the wrong person to post on this thread. :bag: If you went with the GBE600 head you WON'T be disappointed.

Like everyone else has stated - buy the gear out right. Don't put it on an 'in store card.' I used to work in another big box (evil) guitar store chain that had credit cards. I've seen some musicians get into a lot of trouble with those things because of GAS. It's like a crack dealer accepting cards...nothing but bad news.