1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One Man Band Management: Looping and Spoken Word Poetry?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by expatmuso, Oct 6, 2015.

1. expatmuso

expatmuso

Sep 3, 2015
    Hey,

The past few months I’ve been working on a side project creating solo bass pieces combined with spoken word poetry. I’ve played a bunch of open mics and have been getting pretty positive responses. Anyways, just wondering if anyone else out there might be interested in this kind of thing?

Here's a sample:

40Hz likes this.
  2. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    That's pretty cool!

But one piece of band management advice, if I might: fire that guy before he becomes trouble!

hrodbert696 and expatmuso like this.
  3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Nice! Right in keeping with the old Beat tradition ala Ginsberg and Kerouac.

Kinda reminds me of the things you used to hear at poetry jams - which tend to be faithfully attended by the cognoscenti once the real poetry buffs find out about them. And there seem to be plenty of those. Me included.

I'm generally a big fan of one-man shows. Especially the stuff like Hunter Thompson, Hal Holbrook, Stacey Keetch, Jean Shepard, and William Windom used to do. Some had musical accompaniment, some didn't. But I enjoyed them either way.

I'll gladly listen to people who have something interesting to say - and who say it well when they do.

Hope you stick with it! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    expatmuso likes this.
  4. expatmuso

expatmuso

Sep 3, 2015
    Yeah, I love the beats, especially the stuff that combines poetry and music. Kerouac made a spoken word album with Steve Allen on blues piano which has some great tracks.
    There is a pretty strong performance poetry scene in Montreal, where I'm from. I've been influenced by some of the stuff I've heard around town (alhtough I don't live there anymore). Ian Ferrier in particular has been a big influence. He performs poetry while accompanying himself on guitar, usually using a loop pedal. The looper really opens things up for doing spoken word, I find. I have been using a boss RC 2, which is kind of basic, and a little tricky to use, but so far it's been sufficient for short performances. I've also been influenced by solo bass players, like Steve Lawson, who has some amazing stuff. The kind of trippy, ambient, soundscapish stuff that he does seems like it would go well with spoken word.

Anyway, anyone else have experience playing bass along with poetry or creative writing?

5. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

A little. Nothing recent. Although I usually have a bassline and some riffs running through my head about half the time. So I hear "accompaniment" even when nobody is playing.

IMO the one cool thing movies have, and real life doesn't, is a background score. Which is probably why I'm so often thinking up some inner music to go with almost everything.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That is one gargantuan bass ...

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021