1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

One man band

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by TafariH, Jan 9, 2012.

1. TafariH

TafariH

Oct 21, 2011
    Hi everyone i just recently started to play around with recording and i need some help and advice in regards to sourcing VSTs and drum tracks and guitar synths.
    Fist off i NEED some form of program that can synthesize guitar sounds in an very organic way (power chords, solos etc). i also neeed something to program drums with. I'm currently using Reaper as my DAWS. My only equipment right now is my bass :bassist: and a 1/4" to usb cable that i plug directly to my desktop.
    i would love your honest opinions/recomendations on VSTs and and any other program you use along with direct links to said programs.

P.S.
    There are a couple VSTs that have drawn my attention, DIG & BIG by KVR audio but i can't find these VST anywhere to download (not even on the company's site, i keep getting 404 errors:crying:). i would like to address these two first.

2. Best is to use guitar loops, there's plenty of them. Most plug-ins that emulate guitar sounds go halfway, still sound artificial, mostly as you need to think like a guitar that strums so you might as well become a guitar player.

Not that RG might work for you:

Rob Papen RG virtual instrument

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Best drums yet - Jamstix
    Rayzoon - Virtual Drum Software
    You'd swear you have a drummer in the room with you.
    It has great sounds but you can still use it with any sample library

pgmusic.com BIAB with realtracks is good at creating guitar solos, and guitar parts.
    You can drag the audio tracks into reaper after you generate them. It can create solos that follow the chord progression, or solos that just stay on the root pentatonic (like most rock guitarist)
    The new version actually has some clean tracks that you run through Amplitube to add effects and amp modeling.

4. TafariH

TafariH

Oct 21, 2011
    um.. is there like a free version or free VST that do the same thing

5. TafariH

TafariH

Oct 21, 2011
    Originally said by seamonkey

this actually looks really good :hyper: to bad i'm super broke though :bawl:

6. Eco Drums are now on sale ~$29.

There are some very cool VST suites in the ~50-70 range.. MAudio Key Rig has enough to get the job done

If you search around on the net there's a very high quality grand piano... released by tascam?... there's another how to install thread.

Unofortunately VST is an addictive abyss....

Keep your eyes open for an interface... contrary to what folks commonly say, a lower end Alesis, Lexicon etc do well for what you're describing... no need to break the bank on my Motu, Presonus etc.

7. Guitar... why not just pick up a guitar and use distrotion plugins etc.... for power chords, doesn't take much work.... more time is spent trying to find loops etc...

There are some great interfaces that go directly ASIO

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Oh - looking for Free

Best to google
    Free VST
    Free VST Guitar
    etc.

The Reaper forums are full of advice on free plugins.
    Some are actually very good. It just takes time to try them.

9. TafariH

TafariH

Oct 21, 2011
    Originally said by MNAirHead

+1

MNAirHead

first up i'm super broke in my own currency plus the exchange rate really F things up. so just grabing a guitar would be difficult (if i'm not willing to loan out my bass why would any of my guitarist friends do that?) so for now i just pitch shift my bass to sound like an accoustic then use DIG or Helian with a TS808 (sound decent enough)

10. Nightwolf55

Nightwolf55

Jun 22, 2008
    For free drumming software, Hydrogen is good. The drums sound realistic. The program is buggy though, so save often.