1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ONE MAN DIGI-BAND

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by luknfur, Dec 11, 2006.

1. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I’ve read A LOT of FAQ and all the studio threads are 3 over years old and common sense and googleing tells me something has changed since then - the mini mac if nothing else (going on two years old). A lot of FAQ and “googleing” has been geared to multi- instrument/band recording to boot - which I have no interest in.

I’m guessing maybe some of you in the know can point me in a direction that will make the research look more like a stack of books than an explosion in a print factory. In a nutshell, this is what I want to be able to do and work with for personal/non-commercial use.

1) able to record bass, guitar, midi/keyboard one at a time (maybe vocals at some point)
    2) extensive Virtual Instrument library with moderate editing And layering capability of those tones
    3) probably computer/software based (ideally laptop/fairly portable but not essential)
    4) the capacity to integrate all this to compose music (preferably more than 4 instruments/tracks)
    5) ideally a platform that would permit upgrades and unforeseeable add-ons to the system
    6) for about a $1,000 (buying anything practical used)

Thanks in advance

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Start with the software you want to run, Sonar, Cubase, etc. and look at the requirements.
    A small desktop system is going to get you more band for the buck than a laptop. Check your local diy computer store, they can whip together a decent daw for a few hundred. Get a decent audio interface, USB2 or better is Firewire - a couple of hundred on this. Leaves the rest for software.