1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One man's trash is another man's treasure

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LinusKarlsson, Nov 5, 2018.

1. I put this rig together just out of necessity, to have something in my living room that made a sound. It didn't expect it to sound great. Not even good. I just wanted it to make a sound loud enough for me to practice.

This rig did however make me gasp. A Peavey PA head from the early 80's. A beaten up old Marshall cab from the same age. It shouldn't sound that great, I thought. I was wrong. With the EQ set flat and the volume turned up just a little bit it sounds big, clear and punchy with great presence across the entire range. Almost more balls than my main rig with a Ampeg 810 cab. Just the perfect sound, you know? And this rig got some serious power. That PA amp is LOUD. And the cab can take it, no problem. No rattles, no distortion. Huge amounts of bottom end. The P-bass with flats just sings through it. I could take this setup to a gig, no problem.

The best thing about it is however that both the amp and the cab comes from an old rehearsal studio that were updating their stuff. This gear was about to get thrown away as garbage!

So, humbling experience over. I love my new rig!

IMG_2985.

2. voided3

voided3 Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Nice! A friend of mine back in grade school had a Peavey PA head similar to that and it was frequently enlisted for bass duty. What kind of Marshall cab is that?

3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Nothing wrong with that rig. It looks cool. So does the old piano.

4. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Nice bass ....

LinusKarlsson likes this.
  5. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    And that bottle of Martini and Rossi ;)

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Sweet!

My band rehearses in the bonus room over my garage. I have an older Yamaha powered mixer very similar to yours. I was initially running everything into a Euphonic Audio VL-210. Then I decided to try an experiment. The "stand" for my rehearsal PA is an Epifani UL410. I decided to run one side into the EA cab and the other side into the Epifani.

Holy crap! It sounds amazing. Vocals are clear. And my bass sounds ridiculously good. I'll try to remember to snap a pic and post it later.

Hey, if your rig sounds glorious, rock it live and let it eat.

HolmeBass and LinusKarlsson like this.
  7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i'm not surprised that the rig sounds good to you. congrats on your acquisitions! :thumbsup:

8. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The XR600 mixer uses the same power amp (PA400 module) as the bass amp of that era. Nothing wrong with it, though the input impedance of the mixer might be a bit low for a passive bass.

9. It's a Marshall 1550 cab. 1x15", 250w, 8 ohm.

Well, you know... A mancave is a mancave =)

Real Soon and Wisebass like this.
  10. Well, I know that the power amps are the same, I have some other old Peavey amps in the past. Absolutely great stuff! I do however know nothing about impedance and other electrical stuff. I just know that it sounds great to my ears! =)

SirMjac28 likes this.
  11. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    I was about to post the same comment. A higher impedance buffer (I used 3Meg on my passive bass) will only make it sound better than it already does, IME.

12. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Nice rig!

13. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    Very nice, I'd love to snag some free gear!
    Is that head as heavy as it looks? Glad you got a nice sounding rig so easily!

14. That's some good looking Jank going on there :thumbsup:

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Beats spending money. Nice job.

srayb, SirMjac28 and LinusKarlsson like this.
  16. Could you dumb that down to my level? =)

It is heavy, yes. The cab is lighter than I thought it would be.

17. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Passive basses (generally) perform better into loads about 1M or higher.

SirMjac28 and SteveCS like this.
  18. I'm no expert but I believe they are telling you that a DI or bass preamp would help it sound better. Google "impedance mismatch"

LinusKarlsson and SteveCS like this.
  19. About 20 years ago I played in a blues band that used a XR600. It was solid as a rock dependable. I used a DI box and bass amp for stage volume.

20. On the input impedance issue, if it sounds great to you, don't sweat it. What is right on paper or best practice for signal integrity isn't always right in the ears. That's part of the fun thing about music; nobody will die if you do it "wrong".

That said, a better matched input impedance will mean more signal to the amp and better frequency response (specifically more high-end). The specific cable you use will have less effect on the system as a whole. Etc.

Bottom line: if it sounds good, play it!