1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

One man's Trash...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joey305, Apr 7, 2009.

1. joey305

joey305

Dec 24, 2008
    I was browsing craigslist today and came across a dirty old cab for $60. The guy doesn't know if it is a guitar, bass, or pa cab. I asked him for some basic information such as the impedance and how many watts it is rated to. i also asked for the brand and serial number. I know little about amps and cabs and all that jazz. I am currently playing my bass out of a PA so id like to have something cheap, dirty, and of somewhat decent quality. Im not picky.

Can any of you identify this?
    Is it worth paying $60 for?
    Assuming the speakers in it are crap or this thing is meant for a guitar would it be worth it to buy it and throw some new speakers or something in it?

cabs1. cabs2.

2. OtterOnBass

OtterOnBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    This is car audio -- put it in your trunk.

3. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    I'd keep looking, those look to be PA cabs, and the drivers look like they have shot surrounds, and they aren't worth fixing for what you want. You'd have at LEAST $600 for used good drivers, and it still wouldn't sound right for bass, and you'd still need a C-130 to haul them, and a hangar to set them up in!

FAIL

4. :meh: Maybe in a stretch limo. I vote *old PA columns* Big, heavy & awkward- probably sound OK if you put a good amount of power into them. Worth $60? Not to me.

5. Hi.

Looks like all the surrounds have vanished so yes, the speakers are most likely crap.

I'd say they're some old PA columns rather than car audio, but as I've never seen anything like that before, it's just a guess.

$60 for two particle board boxes, well I wouldn't pay that much.

Old cabs look as cool as hell though so if the material was something else than particle board, I'd probably put some Eminence Gammas or Deltalites in there. Just for kicks ;).

Regards
    Sam

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    They look like church organ cabs to me. If I already had eight good speakers "just sitting around" then I'd buy those just for the cool/unusual factor. But I don't, and you probably don't, so nah.

7. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Someone tell me if I'm wrong but those speakers look like old JBL K-140s. Either way...if they are old JBL speakers then even if you had to have them reconed then they'd easily be worth buying for $60 and trashing the cabs. Or...keep the cabs and build yourself a killer 1x15 or 2x15 with the K-140s and then sell the others and still make money.

Just my thoughts. You might want to ask the guy to look inside the cabinet and see if he can see the magnet or spider on the speaker and tell you what it says (if it says anything).

8. Whoops.... Kinda looks like ya may have wasted your money buying those. If you put ALOT of money and time into them you should be able to just about break even and then some. Sometimes an involved project is just what the doctor ordered however.

9. b_carville

b_carville

Jun 26, 2008
    They do look a lot like JBL's!

10. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    One man's trash is another man's really heavy $60 trash :)

11. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I vote $60 firewood. Save you money for something else...

12. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Doubt those are 15's
    I'm betting old Bogen PA columns with low wattage drivers

13. I'm confused as to scale here, at first glance I instinctively thought they were small, loaded with 6" drivers...are they bigger cones?

14. kelleysdad

kelleysdad

Dec 12, 2007
    those are not JBL's. They look like stamped baskets and the dust covers are straight where they meet the cone. JBL's didn't do that.

15. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    Old 60's or 70's era PA columns in bad shape. $60?
    Probably cost you at least that to fix it to useable shape. And then you'd consider what they do sonically and how they compare to modern more efficient & lighter weight drivers etc....

There's vintage quality which modern technology cannot match or reproduce, and then there's stuff that should have been left behind as junk.

IMHO, I'd leave it as junk.

16. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Definitely PA columns. Kustom had some 4x12 colums, and I think fender did as well at one point (I think I recall seeing them for sale somewhere).

17. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Looks like it to me, also. Not even good firewood.

18. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    One man's trash, is still trash, unfortunately. At least you didn't lose alot of money.

19. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Look like old old old Shure PA columns. I cant' figure out how y'all are inferring from the OP that the guy actually bought them.....:confused:

Looks like you could chop each one in half and make 4 2x10's out of them, but old particle board tends to shatter into bazzilions of, well, particles when you try to modify it.

20. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    no offense but, you couldn't pay me $60 to pick it up.