1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One Mod Pedal to Rule Them All?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Being and Bass, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    My board simply has no space for mod pedals but, at the same time, there is room for them in my playing and a need for them in my groove. I've been trying to find a good all-in-one mod pedal that, when set, can move from slight chorus to hyperflange. At this point I am convinced the H9 might be the way to go, despite the costs, and would also give me another reverb+delay before my synth engine. But with mods I am truly out of my element, as I have always been a reverb/trem guy and found my variance there.

Any thoughts?

2. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Southampton Pedals Utility Knife.

Ti-Ron, the_Ryan and blindrabbit like this.
  3. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    AND it is even Canadian!? Might have to try and give this a play if I can track it down!

blindrabbit likes this.
  4. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    Source Audio Orbital

5. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    This was actually my first thought after doing my research; I especially love the phaser choices, but had heard some love and hate going back and forth on it.

Does it serve you well?

sillyfabe likes this.
  6. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I tried the Orbital twice myself, and I couldn't get past the controls - too many things on one knob so you can't see what's what at a glance, and it's almost impossible to a/b a sound against another sound because you have to save every change before switching away. The SPUK is twice the money, though.

Jakeman likes this.
  7. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    It has served me well, has lots of modulation options and tons of controls to get your sound. It takes a while to get use to all the controls but quite intuitive once learned. The phaser is awesome (the 12-stage kicked off my old Boss PH-2 Super Phaser).

Being and Bass likes this.
  8. AlexBassMP

AlexBassMP

Feb 5, 2014
    Barcelona
    On a budget : Zoom MS60B (the one I use) or MS70CDR

If you're interested in modulations, maybe the MS70CDR is a better choice.

It isn't an Eventide H9 but for some modulations here and here do the job.

neuman likes this.
  9. The H9 is an amazing unit, but it's modulations are it's weakest algorithms. Which is why dedicated units like the Strymon Mobius are often sandwiched between a pair of H9's. The Zoom MS-70CDR is an amazing unit for the price, and it covers a lot of modulation, but isn't as controllable or tweekable as a Mobius. The mobius really is in a whole different league. But the Zoom is incredible value.

Blu bro and Being and Bass like this.
  10. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    Source audio lunar, Gemini or mercury. Much improved user interface over the orbital, but you need a smartphone or computer to really dial them in, and it also has 3 sounds per pedal. I had the H9 and the modulation was definitely the weakest point. A mobius would be a strong contender if you can manage the space.

karla684 and FullTime Tim like this.
  11. ric4682

ric4682

Jul 2, 2008
    I’m not sure what the price range is, but maybe Boss MD-500? It could even cover your trem needs too.

12. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I have a hotone Xstomp that I basically use as a cab sim but the modulation on it is pretty darn good, I think. And since it's small it didn't take up much space on a board... Might be something worth looking into.

13. Line 6 M5 is incredibly useful if you want more effects than you might know what to do with.

14. ric4682

ric4682

Jul 2, 2008
    Also, you can run two separate mod effects simultaneously on the MD-500 so you could have chorus and trem running at the same time or phaser and leslie etc

15. I guess it kind of depends on your budget and what you are looking for in modulation. For some...a really good chorus is all they want or need. For others...it's the full monty and an creative exploration of what's currently available.

Being and Bass and smogg like this.
  16. I'd go with the Southampton Utility Knife. I say this as a former Orbital owner/user.

17. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    My initial idea was a kitchen sink policy for modulation, as I won't use it often but wanted the wildest possible sounds. It was looking to be the Oribital, unless I could somehow afford a Mobius (the H9 may happen at some point, but to replace my Memory Man and not as a mod). But the Utility Knife is so simple but those sounds are all simply perfect it might just get added to the list.

I am usually a "kitchen sink" guy when it comes to pedals (the only streamlined pedal I use is my noise gate and the Russian Muff) but that may change with the Knife.

blindrabbit likes this.
  18. Controversial opinion: Wait.

Today is January 2. NAMM starts January 25. New stuff is coming.

19. I bought my Strymon Mobius S/H off ebay. They are £440 new, I paid £300 for mine and it was boxed and mint condition. I also bought my H9 S/H too on ebay, but they don't come up that often but it worth waiting for. I bid on three of them before I got mine...the others went for far too much. I've not had much dealings with an orbital but the youtube vids look cool. I'm surprised Source Audio hasn't made a smaller version like they did with the OFD / Aftershock.
    I wouldn't mind trying out the new Boss MD500. On paper it looks very functional and well featured.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  20. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    I've got an EHX Cathedral arriving immanently so it will be a little time, but something I hadn't thought of!