1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One more acoustic bass string Question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tymbrewolf, Nov 6, 2018.

1. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf

Nov 10, 2003
    Well actually 2 questions that I have not found adequate help 4. I have an Ortega D Walker Mini acoustic bass that I found the stock strings like cheese graters and I have tried the baby Taylor strings and they are way too bright sounding for me. My question is since I live in a rural area how would I know for sure what strings I can use on this base particularly where the taper might be if I wanted to use maybe flats which I think would be to much tension except for perhaps the 23 to 25" strings used for the goldtown micro base of which I use on a solid instrument in that scale length. I am intrested in using maybe some bright flats flat top half rounds ground round or other in between strings on this very short scale bass and I don't know whether or not I can cut them sends a centrally they are round wound that have been modified after winding

2. Roger Blackman

Roger Blackman

Mar 19, 2018
    The Taylor D’Addario strings are indeed very bright - I’ve found them difficult to amplify. Try Labella CB40s. They are roundwound with nylon core but quite soft to the touch and still bright enough but in a mellow way. Slightly heavier gauge than the D’Addarios, which I prefer. You have to cut 3rd and 4th back beyond the taper but as long as you are careful inserting and wrapping the first wind around the tuner post, they fit perfectly. It takes a while for them to settle and I found they did stretch a bit for a few days. They sit on the top nut a bit higher but I found that was ok. And they are quite cheap!

3. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf

Nov 10, 2003
    Thanks