Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

One more DIY cab with pics

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Feb 1, 2006.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Im building a 1x15" + 1x6" and thought I´d share some pics.
    The box is made from 12mm pine ply as I intend to keep the weight down. Speakers are Beyma 15LW30 (Neo 9,8 lbs) and Eminence Alpha 6. I cross them over at 800Hz. third order Butterwort on the 6 and first order on the 15. The cabinet has an SBB4 alignment according to WinISD and is tuned to 32 Hz.
    Since I used so thin ply I added some reconance dampind plates (don´t know what they are called). And the interior is also ligned with acoustic fibre stuffing. The 15 and the handles (like the one on a Genz Benz NEO 212) just shipped to me so I will install them sometime next week (hopefully). The corner hardware is also on order. Here are some pics of the work so far:
    [​IMG]

Notice the cookiejar that makes a closed chamber for the 6". It is reinforced with a lot of "rubber cement" to kill reconances:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    One of the biggest caps I´ve ever seen. :cool:

[​IMG]
    ...and the finished third order Butterworth high pass filter.

[​IMG]
    The cab so far.

[​IMG]
    And one with the grill. This will probably be painted black.

More to come...

2. looks pretty nice.

what's the overall specs? size, wattage, weight, etc?

3. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Man that looks nice.
    I like the use of the cookie jar. What kind of cookies were in it? When will you have the 15 in it?

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hight 23"
    Width 20"
    Depth 14" (much easier to carry that shallow)

Speaker can handle 450W RMS, sensitivity 99dB/W, X-max 7mm (!), range 35-4000Hz
    Don´t know the total weight yet. Work in progress. Will get the 15 sometime next week. Ships from Germany today. I cant wait to fire it up.

5. Sounds like it'll be pretty nice. Nice work!

6. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks!
    I almost threw the cab in the wall yesterday as I grabbed the soldering iron from the wrong end. :mad: I will remember to look next time. Made a huge blister. :D

7. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Cab looks nice. I built one similar once, and used a PVC pipe end cap, from 8 inch pipe. It's a little thicker and stiffer, and also glued it in place. Worked out well to seal the mid driver in it's own little home.

8. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I didn't know that mid drivers should be sealed from the rest of the cab. I guess it makes sense. I might build a 12/6 cab so it's good to know about the mid thing. I was thinking about making it a tilt back design. Besides not being able to put the amp head on top, are there any other negatives to the tilt back design.

9. having done this before, i feel your pain, but i just cant help myself but to laugh.
    heehee! :p :smug:

10. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Now that is a serious speaker! This should be a very nice sounding cab with loads of accurate bottom. Amazing sensitivity.

To put it in perspective this 15" alone will move as much air ten Delta 10"s, six Kappa 10"s or two Acme 10"s. Fat.

Alex

11. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks for all your kind words!

I have one of these on the bottom:
    [​IMG]
    That way I can tilt the cab if I need it when standing on crowded stages. I will make some kind of stops on top of the cab so the Ashdown wont slide off from the vibrations.

12. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ

f3 of that driver , assuming sbb4, is 72 hz. at 43 hz you are at a max of only 112 db, not earth shaking. "useable" 35 hz is goiing to be in the quiet 106 db range ( i am making some assumptions). NOt to crap on your cab. not at all. its really quite nice looking, and the beymas get great reviews by some people who are in-the-know. I am merely guessing that your f3 low end is a little optimistic. Of course, this takes nothign away fromm the sound/quality/usefulness of the low end.

Looks good. i look foward to a a review.

13. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes, the 35-4000Hz is just from the Beyma pdf. In my cab WinISD gives me an f3 of 65 Hz and a max SPL of 116,5 dB at 43Hz. But I think this is a lot better than most ready to buy 1x15 bass cabs. We´ll just have to wait and see. I have played and owned a Glockenklang UNO cab so I know how the best 1x15" bass cab sounds.;)
    Hopefully mine will be somewhat close in sound but lighter in weight.

14. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    I agree.

It looks great, and would be an improvement over my EVM 115 cab i currently use frequently. The beyma has same/similar sensitivity but your cab will have an f3 about 10-15 hz lower, and your 6" midrange is far superior to the Mids of the 115 i am using. I also think your cab wil lbe far lighter.

In short, i am very curious as to your review.

15. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5

Speaking of tilt backs, that is what I am doing right now.I took a BX1200 Behringer, and removed all the Behringer. Putting in a Delta 12LF, and sliding a Markbass Little Mark II in the head area. As soon as the Little Mark gets here. There will be an 1 1/2 gap on each side of the head, which I will fill with nice black carpet covered blocks. Should be a sweet little small gig rig.And the head can be sld right out for other uses.

16. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nice work!

Can you give a cost estimate on the Beyma at all?
    Also, what do you think the total cost of the project was?
    Was it available in Stockholm, or did you have to import it?

17. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Well, your beer can slide off the cab. (Or in your case,
    since you are not Icelandic, your water.) ;)

We Icelanders install these handy dandy beer holders on
    the side of our cabs.

[​IMG]

Features:

Gimballed to prevent spilling
    Solid, UV stable marine-grade polymer
    Easily mounts to port or starboard side of cab
    No tools required
    Will not rot, stain or swell
    Holds standard koozies or mugs
    Easy access by bassist

18. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA

Make sure you scrub it out real good. If any of that Behringer residue is left behind it will spread like a fungus and ruin your project.:D

19. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    You are a thinking mans thinking man. Does this come in black?

20. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Nice cab......and no stinking tweeter.