Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

one more question

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by fender_bassist1, Nov 25, 2004.

1. fender_bassist1

fender_bassist1

Nov 23, 2004
    When you are using fingers and a power chord is used which finger should i use to strum the power chords?

2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I play a five-string, and for power chords I stuff my thumb between the B and E strings to mute them both (if it were a four-string I'd just 'use the E as a thumb rest' to mute it - I usually don't rest my thumb, but keep it trailing along, damping the strings that are above the one I'm playing), and then strum by flicking my middle finger out (so the nail contactls the strings) on the A-D-G while fingering a 1-5-octave chord. I do this pretty forcefully, like flicking a field goal in tabletop football; I used to get a cramp in my hand from doing that for very long, but I can manage it pretty well now - at least for a whole chorus or something, but I don't really use it very often; for a couple choruses on a Meatpuppets song, and I don't remember what else. Once I pick up a Boss bass distortion pedal, then I think I'll use that technique more often; for backing up guitar leads in our three-piece rock band.

I consider your term 'power chord' to mean sounding more like the third-less hard-rock guitar chord (I generally take the 'power'-part to mean no third) - else I'd use thumb, index and middle, and play more like classical guitar, or Nashville chicken-pickin style.

Joe

3. Rich600

Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    Scotland
    LOL