One more question....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Irie01, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    I have once again put myself in a confusing situation. I am confused about my cab situation too but that is another story.I just got a used svt-2 pro for about $1000. It seems kinda old too. I am wondering if I could build my own preamp/power amp section that would be just as nice brand new at about the same price or cheaper/and lighter(the 2 pro is quite a monster). Although I love the svt-2 pro Id feel more comfortable with something new. I would definetly go with the svp pro and then the search of the right powewr amp would be on. How much is the svp pro?What things should I consider in making this choice?Please help me out.
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Looks to me like a lot of work and money for a result that won't be half as good as this old SVT head.
  3. I believe the SVP Pro runs around $525. Add a good power amp and you could be aound the same price as your SVT 2. I like new as well, but just make sure you don't pay too much. People always talk about how Carvin power amps are a great value, and are pretty reliable. The nice thing is that with a pre/power amp setup you can get a whole lot of power for not too much money. Good luck.

4. I think there is nothing wrong with doing the preamp power amp setup. Carvin has had some success with their power amps, I would suggest looking into a QSP or a crown power amp in the lower price range.

My friend runs shows for a college and recommened them both. He told me he used a crown outside one day for a all day concert in the sun and the crown never overheated ONCE. And they cranked that lil monster.........

Anyway, don't forget that it'll be a good idea to buy a rack for the preamp and the power amp as well. That's an extra 150 bones. (I would only go with SKB as far as racks go by the way)

Best of luck, and have an expert look over that old amp of may not even need to do anything!