1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

One more reason I love my P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Bassincus, Apr 12, 2009.

1. I was invited to a jam last night, wasn't exactly sure of the music, and brought my beater '89 Squier II P/w EMG's.
    As it turned out, the music was Tom Waits-ish, mixed with folk & country material on acoustics & electrics w/ mandolin. There was a SWR Workingman 15' combo, with all knobs set flat. I plugged in, turned down my tone knob, and was completely set. Playing with my thumb and controlling the sustain gave me a convincing upright tone (that blended well with the acoustic instruments), and the other musicians seemed pleased.
    The beauty is that we could have been playing Iron Maiden/Janes Addiction covers, and the P Bass would still have been completely appropriate.
    And people still ask "do I really need a P?"

2. P are great and versatile basses IMO.

3. pbassnut

pbassnut

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    It's definitely the desert island bass ... a timeless classic.

4. todd493

todd493

Oct 26, 2007
    I was just checking out a big block P last week and thinking what a great bass. Really great tone and just loved the neck.

5. How does that Big Block pup sound? Like a MM or 2 J's?

6. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    From what I remember when it came out, it's basically 2 jazz pickups side by side.

Quite likely why the bass didn't sell; people wanted the MM and got Jaco. :)

7. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    Yep. :smug:

I've never been able to try one out, but I dig the inlayed neck. Jazz basses shouldn't get *all* the eye candy. ;)

8. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    Mmm P bass, P bass good.