One more reason why Ben Harper is cool.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, Nov 15, 2002.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Ben Harper Got And Gave Tips During Filming Of New Motown Documentary

(11/15/02, 1 p.m. ET) -- Ben Harper got--and gave--some tips during the making of Standing In The Shadows Of Motown, the new documentary about the studio musicians known as the Funk Brothers. After joining the troupe earlier this year at the Royal Oak Theatre outside Detroit for renditions of the Temptations' "Ain't Too Proud To Beg" and Marvin Gaye's "I Heard It Through The Grapevine," Harper circulated from musician to musician, slipping each one a little something to express his appreciation and regard.

Percussionist Jack "Black Jack" Ashford recalls to LAUNCH, "I was over packing my stuff up, and (Harper) walked over to me and said, 'Here, take this, man. I want you to have this. Get the fellas some coffee.' So I said, 'OK, thanks.' Then I told the other guys what happened, and (drummer) Uriel (Jones) said, 'He gave me $100 to go get some coffee, too.' He did that with everybody."

Standing In The Shadows Of Motown opens Friday (November 15) in theaters nationwide.
  2. His parents own the Folk Music Center in Claremont and I interviewed him for a high school project a few years back. He had just been signed to Virgin--and my impression was that he wasn't a very "cool guy" at all. Maybe it was just me.
  3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hmmm. Interesting. When I met him after a gig a couple of years ago, he seemed pretty humble, and grateful for what he has. Maybe you caught him on a bad day, or maybe he has come to realize how lucky he truly is.

I still like that he paid his respects to the elders there, and did it in a way that wasn't looking like he was throwing money around to be the center of attention. I mean, $100 isn't like he bought them a car, but at least it's an acknowledgement.
  4. Well, he did buy his bassist his dream bass, which is definately worth of nomination for "cool guy" status.
    A lot of times with humble people, they do and say things that make sense when you first hear it. But when they're in the spotlight their can have a different meaning from what they intended when taken out of context. Like how sometimes shy people can be perceived as arrogant. I don't think he's an egomaniac or an *******, but I easily see him as being overwhelmed and a little bit defensive in his position, especially during an interview.
  5. I never called him an egomanaic or any of those other things--I'm not sure where that came from. Surely it's possible that he was having a bad day. No need to describe the behaviour of "humble people" to me.