1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One More Run at This "Which Amp" Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Count Bassie, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Alright, I know some of you have had an earfull of this trip of mine, but this has got me in a spin and I need to come off it- so help me gol-dangit! Here's the deal:

I have a Sunn 30000000T tube amp... Now I've found that I need to be flexible as far as gigs I can do, equipment-wise; so now I need a smaller rig. This might mean I need to re-configure everything to accomodate this new need, as I am but a poor working stiff and can't just afford everything I want.

So I've just newly committed to an Ashdown Superfly, which is perfect for portability and tight spaces. That's $200. I have to re-cone a cab ($180) to go with it and will want to get another appropriate cab ($200 or so), so I can run both power amps from this funny little booger. Versatility is going to matter.

As far as the big rig goes, I'm planning to build an Omni 15 (BFM) for the Sunn head so I can drop the roof at reggae gigs (this has become important). I'm selling off some stuff to fund all this, and if I sold the Sunn that would make things pretty simple and straight-ahead to do. Money would be much less of an issue- and this is a nice idea since I have people to feed as well as gear to go get...

Only thing, I'm having a hard time selling the 300T. I get "Balk-itis" whenever I write the ad on a site, and I walk away from doing it. So here I am asking for some objective advice... I could get a GK 2000RB and some cash on top of the deal if I sent the 300T away. Yet, I'll lose the booger forever (yes, naturally), and when making a decision like this I'm just in no position to screw up. I can't easily correct this kind of thing if it's a mistake. Truth is that no matter what some of the folks who frequent this place say, that 300T is a mother of an amp. The sound is very powerful and the tone is very flexible. Like anything, you can deal once you know how to use it. But I'm willing to lose it for a reasonable cause.

This was recently said in my hearing and I whole-heartedly agree: No one in the world but you cares what you play through- be it an SVT or a Heathkit project- as long as they can hear the song and get on down with it. So really, in the end, I could care less what I'm using as long as it delivers. I'm about making the music and an amp is nothing without me.

So to end this bumpy diatribe, anyone have any solid advice? Sarcasm will be taken with a grain of salt and good humor. I'm also getting sick of it. :) Thanks.

2. You are somewhat in the same position as myself. I have thoughts of giving up and selling ALL of the equipment that I have spent a lifetime procuring. The only people I seem to be meeting ALL turn out to be unreliable at best and flakes at worst. Being 62 at this point, some of the people I meet seem to think I'm too old to be able to play. So I'm about to place ads but can't quite seem to actually write them.

Enough of me! You should do what LOGIC tells you to do and not your heart. We have ALL at one time or another parted with stuff we later regret. Do as you must at this moment in time. An all tube amp will always be heavy to move and expensive to maintain. I haven't used a full tube amp to gig with since the Seventies and I would never gig with one now. I miss that amp, it's the most powerful tube amp I ever designed and built. That being said, I do like to have a tube in the signal chain somewhere and the little tube pre I built gives me much of the tubeyness that I desire.

Paul

3. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    As concerns your being too old to play at 62, that's just a very stupid thing for someone to believe. When I'm 62 (I'm 47) I'm going to be an even better player than I am now (not that that's so great, but you get what I mean). Don't sell your gear! Not for that reason anyway... don't let your frustration with stupidity ruin it for you. I get the feeling you're smarter than that.

Go forth, Paul, and knock 'em dead. :bassist:

Well there's an interesting and pragmatic answer. I suppose there's a time and a situation for being led by one's heart- but a purely practical matter like this really ought not be one of them... I get it. I am now left with naught but my imminent gutsy move to Craigslist- to post my For Sale ad! :crying:Yes, it's gonna hurt, but I think it's the right move.

I appreciate the solid advice, thanks.

And hey, what amp did you design? You build amps? Spill it Paul, what are they called?