Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

One more time. PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    O.K. this is about the 3rd time I've asked this question.

I have a new MIA Fender Jazz Bass. The E string on this thing just sounds a little flatter than it should. It sounds a little dead. It sounds a little weak. No THUMP. It sounds a little thin. Almost like its hitting the pickup but it's not. It's a pretty subtle thing. Nobody noticed till I compared it to my other basses.

So far I have changed strings, put in new pick ups, done set-ups, and ripped out all the electronics and the S-1 switch. Nothing helps. WHAT THE HELL IS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The bass is so pretty. It's like having a hot dumb girlfriend you don't want to get rid of. :help:

2. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
  3. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Could be the nut slot, could be the saddle, could be the pickups are too high, could be a loose truss rod, could be a sloppy neck/body coupling (bad shim), could be bad wood.

Let's hope it's not the last. If all else fails, take it to a luthier or a really good tech.

4. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I guess I'm not the only one. Click on my name and look back through my posts and you'll find a thread entitled, "I'm a having a crisis with my MIM P."

Does it sound this way acoustically, if so I say bad piece of wood. Ain't nothing gonna help.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

In conjunction with Squidfingers post, if there's any confusion about the acoustic tone, a little trick I use is to sit in a playing position and rest my chin on the upper bout/horn of the bass and your head becomes like an amplifier when you play. May sound dumb but it works and it makes a major difference if your teeth are together or seperated. If you can't tell a discernable difference between the strings using that method - there's not a problem with the bass acoustically.

6. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Maybe I should throw a Leo Quan bridge on there?

7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I hate to say it, but I think you are throwing good money on bad. You can keep spending money on this bass and you may never be happy with its sound. You might be better off selling it and buying something else.

As for the BadAss II bridge, those are great bridges, but if you don't slot the saddles properly, you may just make your problem worse. I'd lean towards putting on a Gotoh bridge.

If you haven't tried dropping the pups away from the strings, that might be another thing to try. The E string will be more affected by the magnet in the pup than the other strings.

8. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
  9. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

hang in there. Today, I went ahead posted an inquiry on this in the Luthiers forum cause that's where I would have posted it if I had the problem. So maybe something of use will come from that. I have never heard of anything like this before and personally I can think of no probable source outside of the pickup or pup adjustment. It's pretty bizarre.

Also, for some reason, I was thinking this was a more pronounced variation than what it apparently is. If this is a subtle difference, you should be able to adjust the pup/strings to get some balance, though not necessarily so.

Given the E's a larger gauge it's typical for the E to be more pronounced, fatter, whatever. Just the opposite of what you're experiencng but if you can have it one way the opposite is not really so wierd. I have a bass strung with TI's that's a thudder and the E string is always an issue with that bass. I really haven't found any pups that have worked optimally in that bass - and I've stuck a bunch in it. I really haven't tried to adjust it out, I've just used other basses. It's just now getting to the point to do somethng about it cause I'm finding I don't use the bass as a result.

10. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Thanks for the help. :bassist:

It is a very subtle blemish, but I can hear it loud and clear.

For example: I kept letting my guitarist listen to make sure I wasn't crazy. He said he didn't hear a thing. Then I hooked up my other bass and he heard what I meant.

My A, D, and G string have a lot of thump and punch while my E is missing something.

11. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    One thing I didn't mention:

When I have the strings off the bass, the tuner for the E string kinda wiggles around in it's socket. When the strings are on and tightened obviously it doesn't move. I tried tightening the screws but it still wiggles around. ?????

could this have something to do with it?

SEE HOW PRETTY SHE IS!!! That's why I want to save her!

12. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I've had tuners with some slop when loose but never noticed any adverse affects. Best not to draw conclusions though so I'd probably swap one of the tuners that's snug to verify that's not the source - assuming you've got a couple tuners that are interchangeable and the screw holes will line up.

13. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I'm with Lyle Caldwell (3/d post) on this. I'd check, or maybe have a guitar mechanic check, to make sure the neck is properly seated.

14. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    any thoughts on finding a good tech in houston?