Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

One more try: Why do you play bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by flavorfactory, Apr 7, 2002.

1. I was talked into it by a friend.

7 vote(s)
    12.3%
  2. No one else wanted to play ... I was the odd one out.

7 vote(s)
    12.3%
  3. I suck at guitar!

4 vote(s)
    7.0%
  4. I am drawn to where groove and melody meet.

26 vote(s)
    45.6%
  5. Other (please tell us)

13 vote(s)
    22.8%
  1. Did you choose the bass?

Or did the bass choose you?

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Cuz I was no good at the guitar!

;)

:D

3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Other-
    Because i wanted to be different and my music teacher had told me my ears sence lower frequencies or something...:p That and i wanted to be different and i didnt know anyone that played bass.

4. i chose other because i've always hated guitar(i dont know why, i just do!) and when my brother had his bass, i used to watch him play all this funky chilli peppers and slapping stuff and lotsa cool little punk things, and i instantly fell in love with it!! so yeah, and i always wanted to be able to play like flea(yeah, right!) and emma from the sick puppies....

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    that's what they all say!... you were fooled into bass world!

:D

6. 72beetle

72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I had fiddled around with the guitar (my mom played an aspen acoustic 12-string and occasionally taught me little ditties on an old beat up alvarez acoustic dad had lying around) as a wee tyke, and when I was old enough to get into school band, I started playing tenor saxophone. I played the tenor for 3 years, and then I had a life-changing event: I got a chance to play a baritone sax. Man, I loved the DEEP lows that I could make with it, and dug the bassy arrangements that were written for it in the school's library of songs. I knew then that I was destined for the low end.

Anyway, I played the school's bari sax for another 2 years in band (man, marching in parades with that beast was murder on my neck) until I got kicked out. I tried to go back to that natty old acoustic guitar, and it just didn't do it for me, so I got my first electric bass guitar - a no-name hofner-beatle-bass knockoff... and I've been playing bass ever since.

7. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I started with guitar. But the more I played it, the more I felt attracted by bass guitar. I can't tell the reason.

I went to the bass, and that's what I love the most. But I still play lead guitar too.

All the best,

8. lowb

lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    Other: When i was 11 years old i remember saying to my Dad, "i want to play bass"

I'd been playing the violin for about 3 years (maybe it was a 4 string thing) Anyhow i had know idea what the "Bass" was, i'd never listened to music and thought "that bass was cool", i didn't know what it looked like, how you played it.............i had no clue...........yet all i new was "i want to play bass"

People have commented that i "use the force" when playing, like a Starwars kinda thing, which makes me laugh............i just think God blessed me with "the gift" :p

Peace

9. because it is my destiny.

10. Heres my story..As a 10 year old kid or so I always wondered what instrument produced those low frecuency melodies heard on most of the music that a liked. .. I dreamed of playing electric guitar but thought I would never be able.. But when I knew what the bass guitar was I got interested in getting into it because I couldn´t believe there was a guitar like instrument that sounded so deep and powerfull. At 11 or 12 I started listening to music mostly because of it´s basslines, and when I saw other guys listening to rap or hip hop driving their cars, I swore myself I would one day listen to my own basslines.

So when I got 15 I spontaneusly asked my dad to buy me a bass.. My mother made him buy me a guitar instead, which I always tuned 2 steps lower or so. Then, when I was 16, after believeing I was never going to become a bass player in my life, I found this picture of my parents I had never seen before.. I showed it to my dad and convinced him to help me buying a bass.. He got me my bass and my amp a few months later. :)

11. It was 1981. I was 14, just about to turn 15, and I was a Boy Scout. Now, don't let that fool you ... the guys I hung out with in the troop were pretty much rock and rollers, listening to such bands as Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith and, of course, Rush.

I dug the music. Before they introduced me to the world of rock and roll, I had flirted with being a country music fan. But I had no idea where to start with playing it. I was completely non-musical (or so I thought).

One of the guys got a guitar. Then another of the guys got a guitar. They decided to put a band together. I remember it like it was yesterday: we were walking along at the National Jamboree when my friend Mike (the first guy to get a guitar) turns to me and says, "You really need to buy a bass and take some lessons so you can be in our band. If you don't get a bass first, then Dave will."

"What's a bass?" I asked.

"It's the one with four strings. You know, the one that makes all the low notes? The one Geddy Lee plays."

"Oh. Sure. But I don't have that kind of money."

"Don't worry about. Just ask your parents."

"OK."

Well, we weren't back from the Jamboree for two days before my mom calls me into her room.

"Do you want to learn how to play bass?" Mom asked.

I was stunned. How did she know about this new development?

"Your friend Mike just called me. He was very nice. He said, "You really should get a bass for your son and get him some lessons. It's important for every child to have some music instruction, Mrs. H."

Yes, Mike was quite the "Eddie Haskell" of his day.

And my mom bought it. I think it also helped that she had a college friend who taught music lessons at the local guitar store.

In any event, I've been a bass player ever since. I've stayed with the bass, despite picking up other instruments, because it just seems right.

And that's my story.

12. My friends were all talking about forming a band and one of them suddenly turned to me and said: "You could play bass, couldn't you?". I said "Uhh, sure". And the rest, as they say, is history.

I had previously taken guitar lessons for around a year when I was a few years younger, but I didn't like it and never kept it up. I thought I just wasn't musical untill I picked up the bass.

13. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I like that deep sound!!! And other reasons, odd one out in band, got it for christmass once, which shocked me. And I thought guitars where to fragile. But I allways liked the bass in songs. When I was a little kid I used to allways like that deep sound in songs even though I wasnt quite sure what bass guitar was even though I was told of it. And bassists just plain rock!!!!!!

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

When I was a youngster, I idolized my older brother. He played the guitar and the drums.

Mom and Dad bought me a guitar for Christmas, and I tried to get him to teach me how to play. He showed me a couple of chords, but I couldn't press all of the strings down. He told me that my fingers were too short and stubby to play guitar.

Fast forward three years. There is a split in my Dad's church, and half of the congregation leaves, including all of the musicians except the piano player, our assistant pastor.

All of the remaining kids decide to take up musical instruments to provide accompaniment for the piano. Because my brother was a drummer, I pick drums. My best friend picks bass.

Over the course of a few months, we decide that it would be cool to switch off and learn each other's instruments. So, having only messed with his bass one time for about 5 minutes, I played in church on a Sunday night. Went really well, I was able to pick up all of the changes by ear. Over the next few months, he quit coming to church. Whenever he was out, I played bass instead of drums.

Then, a preacher insulted my drumming from the pulpit, and shattered my confidence.

I switched to bass, and have never looked back. After 22+ years, I look back and believe that I made the right choice.:cool:

15. juanpauribe

juanpauribe

Dec 16, 2001
    Colombia
    I hate my story but thats how it is. I started to play guitar but we didnt have money so i played a borrowed acoustic. my brother liked the idea and began to play too. so we begged and begged until my dad got us a guitar. it was for both of us but because it was my brothers birthday it was more of his property. my dad told me to wait a few months and ill get one. i said ok. so we joined a band with no bassist and a total of 3 guitarrists. we just practiced cover songs and took turns in the guitar but no bass. So we said, hey we need a bassist and one less guitarrist. i began to think if i liked bass enough to switch and the thing that pushed me completely was that my best friend began to play bass. but he lives in another country very far away. (he moved, yes i know its sad) he sent me this cassette with him playing and it sounded so cool that i decided to give it a try. so i begun to play bass songs in the borrowed acoustic guitar and i began to like it more and more. So i told my dad, hey, instead of a guitar i want a bass and he said ok whatever.(he didnt know it was going to be more expensive but what the hell) i got it and i almost fainted because it sounded so good compared to that stupid acoustic guitar. i got good in no time because i was already good in guitar so i had speed and knowledge and all that crap. and thats that. :)

16. ClassikMetal71

ClassikMetal71

Apr 6, 2002
    I was about 15 and wanted to play electric guitar. I talked to my friend who played and asked him what he thought I should buy. After looking around for a few months, that friend told me that he and another person who I knew were trying to start a band. He told me that they needed a bass player and thought that I should try it. From the time I first picked a bass up I never wanted to play anything else.

17. I was playing in the school's band at the time (as a trombone) and beginning to get a bit bored with it all. The previous summer, I had planned on saving up money and buying a guitar, but not enough money came out of it, so I forgot about it. Then I went to a friends house who had started playing guitar about a month prior. I played for about 20 minutes and saw how fun it was.

"You know, you should buy a guitar too. Then we could start a band," my friend says, "but we'd have to find a bassist and a drummer."

::BIG FLASHING YELLOW LIGHTBULB ENTERS::

"Say, why don't I play bass? Then we just need a drummer."

"That's not a bad idea!"

X-Mas time rolls around, I get my bass and it's history.

(Note, this was not just a case of my friend wanted me to play bass, or a coin flip decision over drums. Refer to where I said I played trombone. IMO, the trombone somewhat relates to the bass. Used for mostly keeping the beat moving, but can be used as a very effective solo instrument.)

18. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    hm i started round september i got a bass for my bday... i always wanted one so i could play like cliff from metallica.. and pulling teeth was my goal.. lol
    i remember first getting my bass.. that nice gloss black color.. and those horns *grins*..
    took it up stairs and got it intuin.. i had a 400 watt peavey bass amp already.. cause i played drums and i had electronic drums so i needed a monitering system in bands.. and well anyway.. the first song i learned was ace of spades by motorhead.. and then it was "im gonna be your god" by slayer
    lol .. the 4 note song *grins*... now im playing brian mays guitar solo off killer queen on bass *trying to* it works.. it sounds a lilbit odd though..

19. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Fooled in or not, I'm here and I love it!!!

20. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    When I first started playing stringed instruments, I initially picked up the bass. I fiddled around with it for about 2 months and decided that guitar was more fun to play. 5 years later I realized the error of my ways and I sold all my guitars and bought a bass. I've been a bass player exclusively now for 10 years and I haven't regretted the switch for a nano-second. Bass is much more fun to play in my opinion than guitar.

-Brian