1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

One New Neck = Two New Basses! (Bound and Blocked P + Fretless content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimFog, Aug 15, 2012.

1. JimFog

JimFog Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2000
    Phila, Pa
    I'm a simple man.

Really having two Fender basses is one too many for my needs. But still, I have a beautiful Daphne Blue Warmoth Jazz Bass, with Fralins......and a down n' dirty sunburst 50's Classic P, with '62 Original pickups. I prefer tone of the P, but the playability of the J.....pretty typical. I've also been hankering for a fretless, but THREE basses would be totally out of hand.

So, I saw a super nice older Warmoth fretless J neck, with a thick, dark RW board, on Craigslist today, for a great price. On a whim, I snagged it. It went on my J bass, and then I figured, what the hell, and bolted up the J neck on my P.

Great success!!

In case you hadn't heard, Leo Fender was a genius. Both of them went on smooth, and when strung up, didn't need a lick of adjusting. Played perfectly. Intonated perfectly. Sounded GREAT. I'm just tickled at how painless and perfect they turned out.

The now fretless J is MWAAHH Central, but with enough versatilty that I could see gigging it exclusively. You don't HAVE the be all slidey slidey all the time, ya know.

[​IMG]

I'm extra excited at how much easier the P is to play now, without losing a thing, tonally. That was always my preferred gigging bass, but the big honkin' neck daunted me. No mo'. Plus, I figured with a sunburst bass, the RW blocked and bound neck would need a tortoise 'guard (like Carl Radle's), instead of the stock anodized gold. Wrong! The gold just WORKS. I'm psyched.

[​IMG]

Really, no point to this thread, but to gush. So many of my bright ideas/projects fail miserably, that I'm shocked this one came out so well.

[​IMG]

- Jim

2. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Awesome, man! I have 2 basses in this same configuration, too. A fretless jazz and a P with a J neck. Unfortunately it's not a bound n blocked neck, as much as I wanted that Radle look. You've got yourself two beauties there mate, I hope you enjoy the hell out of them!