Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

One Nite Alone.....Live!!!! - Prince's new 3-cd set

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by QUSP, Dec 27, 2002.

1. QUSP

QUSP

Aug 8, 2002
    Hercules, CA
    Prince just came out with a 3-cd set of all live music. Its him and the New Power Generation on tour in selected cities. It also has some material from some after parties as well. It includes Rhonda Smith on bass, John Blackwell on drums and Larry Graham makes a few appearances as well. This cd has jazz, funk, r&b, ballads and solos on more than one song by all the band members. A MUST HAVE!!!! Rhonda even plays some upright bass on some of the ballads and all the jazz cuts. I know they're selling it on his website, but I got it from Rasputin's in San Leandro. Trust me you won't be dissapointed.

2. QUSP

QUSP

Aug 8, 2002
    Hercules, CA
    Over the years I've become a big Prince fan too. I still have yet to see him in person, but that time will come. I also hear that he's coming out with a new DVD (besides Rave un2 the year 2000) with the NPG thats supposed to be OFF THE HOOK. I'll get more info on that as well.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Is he back to being Prince again?

4. QUSP

QUSP

Aug 8, 2002
    Hercules, CA
    I think he's just The Artist now.

5. anon5458975

anon5458975

Apr 5, 2001
    That 3 CD set is definitely smokin'! I've been a big Prince fan as far back as I can remember. Very glad this multi cd set didn't turn out to be another "Emancipation", that was my most dissapointing Prince purchase ever.

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I haven't got into Prince. Yet. For a while I've figured it will probably happen. I don't know very many of his songs at all. I like Raspberry Beret.

7. anon5458975

anon5458975

Apr 5, 2001
    Definitely a case of different strokes here. :)

I really thought "Emacipation" could've been condensed into a single more solid album. To me it seemed like there was a lot of filler on that set, extremely rare for Prince. That's just my opinion though. There were a couple of excellent ballads that I liked, "Savior" being one of them, I love that song! I like most of the ballads he's written in the past just as much as his funkiest stuff, he's written some great ones.

The guys is just plain scary. He's easily thrown more songs away then I'll ever write in my life.

I'm spinning Rainbow Children right now. :)

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I see on Amazon a number of reviews claiming that Prince doctored the recording, rerecorded parts etc. True or false?

9. anon5458975

anon5458975

Apr 5, 2001
    This is the first I've heard about Prince doing any doctoring to that recording. I'm gonna have to check out Amazon and do a little searching around the net. I wish still had my mebership to his website but it ran out a couple months back. If that rumor was doing any heavy circulating I'm willing to bet he'd address it there. I think the site's been down for a little while now anyway.