Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

One Note Buzzes

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Hi,
    I have a 74 Jazz Bass w/maple neck.Frets are still very good.
    I've got it to play perfectly, just a little relief action is low but nor rediculous.The bridge is set to the neck radius nothing buzzes exept for one note.The A on the D string is bad.I have to really lighten up on my attack to get it to soung good.I have tried raising the D string but I really have to raise it a lot to get it not to buzz.All other notes are fine.I'm hoping that I can fix that by doing some fret work.Would it be possible that the 8th fret might be too high on just the D string area?If I had that filed down a bit(I wouldn't do it myself) could that get rid of the problem?

2. basstruck

basstruck Guest

Nov 25, 2005
    Sudbury
    Like Joshua said, you need a fret level, crown job and buffing.
    Just filing one fret doesn't solve the problem, because the next one after the one you just filed will be higher and you will have a buzz there. It goes from fret to fret and so on.... Fret leveling is bringing all the frets to the same height and dressing them after and when this is done properly, you do a good set up with a new set of strings
    That's a job that takes about 4 to 5 hours to do if it is done properly and professionaly

3. Hey Josh,
    Thank you very much for your help!The string was indeed the problem.I use DR fat beams and I usually take them off and clean them a few times before I replace them.I must have used this set on the bass too long I guess.I put on new fat beams and now my bass is perfect.

4. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Good call Josh. Don't you just love it when a plan comes together? :)