Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

one of Entwistles classics...help!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by RockFiend, Dec 19, 2001.

1. RockFiend

RockFiend

Aug 23, 2000
    Can someone please tab up "Gettin' in tune" off of "Who's Next" no necessarily the whole song even as long as i can get some direction on that beutifully hamronic bassline... It would be greatly appreciated

2. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Harmonically, that song is pretty complex, although the bass line is pretty easy. It's all about tension.

In the opening, John is pretty much just noodling on F7 and Bb chords. Even though there are more changes in the underlying progression, the bass line through the whole song is pretty much just I-V, acting as pedal point (i.e. staying on F even thought everyone else changes chords). The key changes from Bb major to C major half-way through, then to D at the end. The "I got it all here in my head" part is about the only time John is following the actual progression (Gm - Eb - Bb - C, or thereabouts).

This is what happens when people write songs on piano, instead of guitar. :eek:

When in doubt, just play some notes that fit in well with the chords he's playin'...;)