1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One of Ken's "Loveri" model French bows on the way

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Basschair, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I decided to take buy one of Ken's bows that I found on an...ahhhh...auction site :ninja: , and got a good deal :hyper: . I'm very much looking forward to receiving it and to trying it out.

Anyone else pick one of these up, the "Loveri" model specifically?

2. pjwolf

pjwolf

Feb 20, 2006
    Ventura, Ca.
    Basschair, I purchased one of Ken Smith's Loveri bows around the first of Aug.'06.....he sent me a "C.Loveri" for the same price (a higher quality bow)....the bow is very balanced and I like the feel of the tip very much(light as a feather)...I think it weighs 140g....I am very happy with it and like it better than a bow I bought from Lemur Music for about twice the price of the Loveri...you will like it's performance; unless you're used to $5k bows.:cool:

3. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

I saw your thread when I ran my search, and was a bit envious :)

I just sold my Ary in the last couple weeks...it just wasn't working out for me, and I'm hoping this one will do the trick.

4. Mine has been given the thumbs by players who know a lot more than I do.

Peace,
    S

5. continuo77

continuo77

Mar 22, 2006
    Does anyone know where these bows are being manufactured?

6. dchan

dchan

Nov 19, 2005
    Bethlehem, PA
    Ken told me that the bows were manufactured by a bowmaker in Beijing, China.

I visited his shop in August '06 to test out the bows, and decided on a "C. Loveri" bow for $480. I personally found all the bows that I tested, from the Brazilwood model to both models of the Pernambuco bows to be very balanced, playing evenly from frog to tip.

I really wanted to spend $320 for the mid-grade Pernambuco bow, as this would have been a huge upgrade over my previous bow. But I just couldn't get over the incredibly warm sound that I drew out of the higher quality pernambuco bow.

I may do a review on this bow later on as I play it more.

One last note: this bow does not bear the "C. Loveri" stamp, only two "KSB" on the bottom of the stick. Ken told me it was the first bow that the bowmakers sent to him, and was probably made from better materials in order to get him to buy more bows.
    It draws quite a sound from my current plywood Christopher.

7. continuo77

continuo77

Mar 22, 2006
    Thanks,
    That's what I thought. The quality of bows that are coming out of China is pretty amazing. I have a handful of chinese bows, both BW and Pernambuco, and they play better than my spare bow that cost around a grand. I would like to eventually try some of Ken's bows.

8. Noir

Noir

Mar 14, 2006
    I wonder why they have the Loveri family name on them then, they still have a shop here in Napoli...

or is it a coincidence?

9. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Inactive Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Because I personally own this and named them after my Bass;

[​IMG]

I could have used the Sartory name and make 'fakes' instead but Loveri was never a Bow maker as far as I know nor was Tecchler or Fendt which are names I also use on the German models. I do this on purpose so we all know it is a new 'brand' and has no possibility of being mistaked for all those famous name fakes floating around and being sold as 'Stamped' bla bla bla.. True sigh often of a fake is when the advertise 'stamped'. A clear to me as an admission of guilt..lol

The names I use on the Brazilwood models are more generic (Napoli and Domenico, ger.)

Thx guys by the way for the nice reviews. I fight hard (polite but firm!) with my supplier to get only the best possible in each grade of Bow.

By the way, are these guys in the Loveri shop today directly related to Carlo Loveri (pre-'Loveri & son' c.1880)? My Bass is Carlo Loveri made in 1873.

10. Noir

Noir

Mar 14, 2006
    Maybe I made it sound like that, but I didn't mean you were trying to make "fakes". Loveri isn't really a famous name outside Italy, so it wouldn't be worth it. I was just curious.

I can't say, but I can ask them.

11. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Sorry, didn't mean to make it seem as if you implied that. Just trying to show how I named it after Loveri from having a Bass by him and choosing not to be in the business of stamping famous names.

I would be glad to hear back about the current Loveri shop. I just love the sound of that Bass.

12. Noir

Noir

Mar 14, 2006

Patrizia Loveri told me the shop was founded by Giuseppe in 1880, who was Carlo's brother. Both her father Giuseppe Jr and her grandfather Diego were great instrument builders... but there were many more luthiers and musicians in the rest of the family. Impressive.

Err... sorry for derailing the thread everyone.

13. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    I don't think it's derailing at all. Goes to show credibility to the name I have chosen for my Bows without stepping on any toes or decieving anyone.

Please give my regards to Ms. Loveri and my compliments concerning the great craft handed down from her great Grandfather Carlo, the maker of my Bass. Also, the last member of the Gagliano family (Vincenzo Gagliano) in the late 19th century only made Guitars and Mandolins so he turned to a few other makers to make the Violin family instruments for the Gagliano label. I also have listed in the Henley book the Loveri Bros. from c.1825 so Carlo was not the first with the Loveri name in this business unless he and Giuseppe were in their latter years setting up the business for the next generation, Loveri & Son. I always thought it was Carlo & Son but maybe not. With the Loveri's working for Gagliano it is easy for their work and family members to be confusing as information on them is scarce. Carlo Loveri was one of his out-workers supplying Gagliano with instruments. Loveri is considered in the business as a 'Gagliano School' maker.

14. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I just got the bow today, and am definitely impressed with it. In retrospect, I should have gotten a lighter version, but it's still very nice! The craftsmanship is solid, the abalone (or is it MOP?) is beautiful, the tip isn't too heavy (a problem I've had with other bows), and the camber has a strong slope to it, which I like.

This is my first bow with black hair, and Rabbath had it right: it has a much stronger grip than white or salt/pepper. This works for me as I can use much less pressure with my bow arm.

It's the first time I've ever purchased anything from Ken: I wish I felt this good about every first purchase I've made in the past from other folks. For what it's worth, he's getting a whole-hearted thumbs-up for this bow, and I'd definitely recommend it to others.

15. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer Supporting Member

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    I am going into the holiday season, which means much more arco for me, with only my Meinel. So, I decided to a take a chance on the Loveri. After a few exchanges with Ken, I now have one on the way as well. I am looking forward to trying it.

I like a really dark sounding bow that really dampens the higher overtones. Ken has send his best offering. I will report when it arrives.

16. Chasarms

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    I got mine today. I played it for an hour or so.

First of all, I agree with Basschair, the stick is quite well made and all the finish and fittings are very nice. Mine weighs in at 138. It is a little heavy, but I think I will adapt OK.

It plays VERY easy. It starts really nicely. It doesn't quite have the sweetness of tone of my other bow, but it comes back strong with performance and volume. It's loud.

17. D McCartney

D McCartney crosswind downwind bass

Aug 1, 2005
    Tacoma WA
    What color hair?

18. Chasarms

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    Black. My other bow has red, which was described to me, and later I agreed, as somewhere in the middle of black and white.

19. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Hey Charles,

I'm wondering what you think about how your bow sounds in the upper registers (4th and up)?

20. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I received my "C. Loveri" bow from Ken this week. I'll include my thoughts on it here, unless anyone thinks it's out of place in this thread.

Firstly, Ken was great to deal with, as any of you who have will know. Good answers to all my questions, and when it came time to carry through the transaction everything went smoothly. I had a bit of a hassle picking it up from UPS (not Ken's fault) but when I finally got it home, I found it to be expertly packed. The wood reinforcements assured me that it didn't go through un-needed stress during shipping.

Construction is top notch - beautiful fittings, nice varnish on the stick. The carving is very well done, especially the tip. There's a rough spot on the stick but that is a result of the wood and there's nothing that could have been done any better with it (aside from tossing the stick and starting over). It's only cosmetic anyway, and it's in an area you'd never notice.

I got one of the heavier bows, at 144g, which was a request of mine. I'm pleased with that, though I'm still getting used to it since my last bow was probably 8g lighter. It draws a huge sound, but I can't say if this is attributed to the weight or other factors since this is also a change in hair (white to black) and rosin (to Kolstein soft) at the same time.

I'm happy so far with the hair/rosin too - it gives a nice dark sound which will be good since we're playing Brahms 2 in January. This is my first experience with black hair (other than on other people's bows) and I think I may stick with it. Not as sweet for solo material, but for the orch. parts it can't be beat. Can anyone who has one of Ken's bows with black hair give me any insight into how you feel about the quality of the hair? The white hair that my last bow had installed just before I bought it was some of the best I've seen/played, but I have no basis to evaluate the black hair against to say whether it's good hair or just passable for the initial shipment of these bows.

Thanks Ken for a great bow. While it is not a master bow made by a renowned crafts(wo)man, it's fantastic for a Chinese shop. I think it's really great that Ken and others have these shops producing bows to such high quality standards, as it allows people like me to afford a bow like this without breaking the bank.

I'll probably return with more thoughts after a season with the Orchestra, as many of you probably will. It will be interesting to see how these work out for us in the long run. :)