Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

One of my big gRiPes!! GRRRR!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by odie, Jun 1, 2003.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

I hate it when sellers will but a word in their title get hits to a listing. So when looking for a Jazz they will put Jazz in the title so when your looking for a MusicMan. You get "Music Man better than Jazz". Its deceitful and wastes peoples time.

Example out friend over at Rondo:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2534152614&category=2384

Pretty cool looking left handed Fender P huh? Didnt know they sold Fenders, or six string P's!!:mad:

2. odie

odie Supporting Member

Thank you I feel better.

My therapist tells me to get my anger and frustrations out!! Says I need to communicate things that bother me.

:bassist:

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Dude, shut it.

My life is the only one that is allowed to suck... well, i am the only one allowed to beeyatch about it here... that is until we get a new troll...

4. odie

odie Supporting Member

:D

Your kinda like our pet then!!

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I'm my english teachers pet... she is hot. she was a laker girl... she is hot and she is like 40 something... if she was like 30... holy crap!

6. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I don't mind this at all. In fact I think it's a good way to get people to look at your auction. (Ever tried searching for Fodera and seeing all the other basses that pop up?:smug: )

I would probably do this in my auction if I thought it would help.

7. odie

odie Supporting Member

Jared:I find this strange coming from someone who prides himself as being a straight shooter.

So you would false advertise?? Kinda like having an ad on the TV or radio for one product. You get there and they say "Nope we dont sell that. We just say that so you wont take the time to come here and look at this stuff. Dont mind its not even close to what you are looking for":rolleyes:

8. odie

odie Supporting Member

I know, pretty weak is'nt it!! Still trying to figure out the "p" part. Maybe they think it sounds like one.:rolleyes:

9. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    dude, seriously, thats not cool, i don't care how hot a teacher is...you don't say that to 30,000+ people...since you are our pet...i can say this

BAD MIKE MONEY!!!

10. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Well it depends...I don't consider it false advertising per se. Now if someone was trying to sell an Ibanez by including Fodera in the title that is indeed a waste of everyone's time. Often times however you find MTD's, Ken Smith's etc etc. (comparable basses right?) with Fodera in parentheses next to the auction title. This just expands who will see the bass IMO. If someone is looking for a Fodera or something comparable they will come across the other bass. I see this all the time and only look at what interests me. False advertisting would be straight out lying in an auction description, not just including a closely related product in the title. In my opinion this practice is totally valid if done correctly.

11. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Also Odie, the example you posted would be my opinion of something that is indeed a waste of everyone's time as that product is not even close to a Fender P. I'm merely speaking in general terms about the whole auction title deal...

12. ya mean like this?

13. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Ebay does have some good things about it though. I just made a 95 dollar profit from selling my Chapman stick.

14. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    It doesn't really bother me that much, though I've never done it myself. It doesn't bother me all that much. It helps more people see your auction. The biggest one I see it with is amps. SWR, Ampeg, Eden, and a couple other show up on almost every amp listing :p

Ampeg blah blah amp (not SWR, Eden)
    or
    SWR blah blah amp (Not Ampeg, eden)

it's kind of annoying, but oh well.