1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One of my cables is severly screwed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Jan 4, 2007.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    Ive noticed that one of my leads if noticeably quieter than the rest of them. If I use it with my guitar amp, I get significantly less distortion than with another cable(with the settings on my guitar/bass the same) It sounds like someones just turned the volume down a little on your instrument.

So...I whip out my new multimeter, check dc resistance and continuity, and its the same as all my other cables.

Its slightly longer than my other cables though(about 2-3 feet longer)

what wrong with it?

EDIT: talking about instrument cable by the way, not power cables

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Capacitance. It won't measure on a DMM.

3. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    ahh ok, So is there a way to fix it? Because one of the plugs had a loose connection, So I took it apart and soldered the plug back on, and now it has the problem. I'm pretty sure it didn't have the problem before

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Check for shorts between the tip and ground.

5. Warr Tapper

Warr Tapper Banned

Sep 17, 2006
    Work
    GET A NEW CABLE

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    High capacitance is a product of poor insulation, so if it didn't exist before you did the repair it shouldn't be there now. A poor solder joint should show up on the meter, but there's always the possibility you overheated the wire and melted the insulation between the shield and conductor enough to create a section with high capacitance. I'd do it again, cutting back a couple of inches of cable, being careful not to use too much heat.

7. i recomend one with a unlimited warrentee like i brought my 2 sound waves cabels the day i started playing bass and they still work to this day 3 years on