One of the funkiest, baddest groovers

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Lorenzini, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Herbie's Headhunters group.

Paul Jackson on bass.
    Coming out of the riff, the first groove he plays, dropped me on my ass. The chordal and Rocco style fingerfunk is deadly.

This is what I'm talkin' about.

Oh and dig Herbie's 'do.
  2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

well, it was the first funk song I had ever learnt.

anyway great video
  3. paul jackson is THE MAN!

sickest tone and chops...I like that brown p-bass as well.
  4. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yeah nice bass. I love the maple fingerboard.

I loved the end of Herbie's solo with the wind whooshing. If anybody did that these days, they'd be shot!
  5. LeftyLB70P

May 4, 2005
    Athens, Ga.
    Paul Jackson = FUNK. (Mike Clark is no slouch either........he tells a very cool story of getting the gig with Herbie. H.H. walks in, all black leather (darth vader like), sits down and starts playing, Clark jumps in, everyone jams awhile then H.H. leaves. Later on he hears that he got the gig. (I butchered it, but thats basically what I remember))

Indeed, it is a shame that he isn't more widely know and doesn't have more material available.
  6. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yeah that's in the liner notes of Thrust.
  7. Listen to their song "Skank It" from their later material. The tone is sick and the groove is fat!!!
  8. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    cool. when I saw the thread title, Jackson was the bassist that immediately popped into my head.
  9. pauljacksonfan

Jun 14, 2005
    Let me just tell all of you right now. I'm in heaven. Getting by clips of Paul and the Headhunters can be insanely difficult. Kudos to Lorenzini for spreadin the word. And don't forget to check out Paul's bass work with the Herbie on such classics as Thrust, Man child, Flood, Deatwish OST(!!!) and Secrets. And throw in Headhunters, Mr Hands and Sunlight as well. for good measure.

Oh. And I almost forgot. You've got to check him out on the Headhunters records without Herbie, especially the seventies albums: Survival of the fittest and Straight from the gate. These feature the band from the Thrust album (minus Herbie) augmented with guitarist Blackbyrd McKnight ( and on ...gate a keyboard player whose name escapes me). They're playing some really nasty funk jazz. But they've also thrown in a few low-down, dirty vocal songs to spice it up.
    The basslines from the songs Straight from the gate and God make me funky are essential to anyone wanting to understand the deep groove of one of most innovative (and under appreciated) bass players there ever was. Paired with Mike Clark he's an unstoppable force.

Rant over.
  10. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Right on.
    He is the man who made me want to play bass.

Based upon your recommendation, I'll check out those Headhunter-sans-Herbie records. I'm sure they are great.

As of late as mentioned on his website, Mr. Jackson has been playing a lot but was in Japan for the majority of his career recently. He also has been involved in music teaching as well. Sounds like a great guy!
  11. Brilliant! He has to be one of the funkiest bass players ever. Good lesson in leaving space as well. Next time I'm in a music shop and some guy is trying to slap at 180bpm I might have a quiet word in his ear and mention Mr Jackson. I'd be doing them a service.
  12. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Not 'great', per se...worth having, though.

What little I could see from the above video link was great!
  13. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I was just Listening to Return of the Headhunters in my car this morning. Love Paul Jackson's groove. I also have a Herbie DVD with Matt Garrison on Bass. He did a great job with Chameleon as well :)
  14. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Paul Jackson is a total beast! EVERYTHING he does drops me on my a** especially Palm Grease and Watermelon Man.
  15. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Paul "action" Jackson is the Bomb!

I've been fortunate enough to see him live twice--25 yrs apart!

Saw him w/ HHH in Milwaukee in the mid 70's and saw him in '01 in Madtowm w/ Mike Clark's prescription Renewel which included larry goldings on Organ, Bill summers on Perc. and fred wesley on the 'bone--bone-crushing funk!
  16. FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    Thanks for posting the clip, this brings back sweet memories. I was a fan of this guy after hearing a full 2 seconds of his playing, funky stuff indeed!
  17. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yeah. Palm Grease is an incredibly complicated tune, for drums and bass. Love it.

I am so glad you guys like Paul Jackson too!
  18. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I've been trying to learn it recently. I think incredibly complicated is an understatement.

Why doesn't this guy get more recognition?

Has anyone checked out Funk on a Stick?
  19. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    He reduced his playing in America to a minimum, I think is why he's not more widely known.

The man SHOULD be though.

I'm thinking of getting a P bass after listening to him recently.
    Funky ass tone.
  20. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    One brief comment...

Gov't Mule: The Deepest End DVD.