Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

one of the Les Claypool solos...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by werbo, Jan 17, 2002.

1. werbo

werbo Guest

Sep 8, 2001
    kingston NY
    Have any of you ever heard the bass solo by Les claypool that isn't in tommy the cat or any other song? You can download it off kazaa, Winmx or anything like that...or if u want it i can email it to you...Oldskoolwerbo@aol.com.

But anyway i just learned from my teacher how to play part of it(can't play after the harmonics) Can any of u play it...Its actually pretty easy... Its just slappin and popping then he throws in some extra stuff...C ya l8er

2. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    i know the one :) it's pretty cool - in fact, i have an .mp3 of myself and a drummer jamming on it. if anyone'd like to hear it, just ask!

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    You're not talking about the bass + drums "Power Fusion Bass Crunch Time" MP3 are you? 4:46 in length, starts with a kind of fade-in swell over a chord/double-stop. If that's the one, it's not Les Claypool, but Bill Evans.

4. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    no, no, not that one. it's an unnamed file, at least to my knowledge - just Les slapping his nuts off to a straight 4/4. he pulls it out live sometimes, i think i've also got a video of it kicking around here too.

5. Are we talking about "The Awakening"?

I heard mention of harmonics -- and there are plenty in that song. The full song can be found on Les' solo album.

6. i think i know the 1, i downloaded it from napster (R.I.P) is it the 1 where most of the time he hits the open E a few times and the does some stuff around the 12th fret, and in the little harmonics bit he bends the note?
    if so i can also play up to the harmonics bit (i couldn't be bothered to work the rest out because i was too tired, and i still haven't got round to doing it :D )
    l8rz
    Tom

7. werbo

werbo Guest

Sep 8, 2001
    kingston NY
    to whoever asked is it the one where he slaps the e string then moves to around 12th fret...thats the one...it actually moves up to the 5th and 7th then he starts harmonics...

8. Yeah, thats the awakening... i believe it was done w/ claypools side project called "Les Claypool and the holy Mackeral(sp?)"... you can watch him do it on video downloadable via www.primussucks.com under the videos section.

9. Down

Down

Sep 11, 2000
    Finlandia
    :confused: I got that one song too, at Rhinoplasty, but also at very old cassete, where it is played by a band called "Reddings". And at there there is 2 basses, first plays with fingers, at background, and the other one does slapping stuff.

10. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Ah, "The Awakening" with The Reddings... cool song. Les covered that one?

11. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Yeah its on his side project cd "Les Claypool and the Holy Mackeral"

12. if you've heard primus's my name is mud than it be cool. also tommy the cat too.
    i can play a lot of his songs. oh yeah!!!!

13. Does any one have tab for this one cos i don't know the end bit after the harmonics. He starts of with a basic riff which I know but I can't figure out all the variants to it.

Cheers

14. slapper3

slapper3

Jan 13, 2001
    I cant find the video of him playing on the site! where is it? I dont think it's there.

15. go to the video's section. The for the "other videos" part or somthing, hit the arrow, so it scans over. On one of those, its an excerpt of him playing it.

16. slapper3

slapper3

Jan 13, 2001
    got it.......amazing.........simply amazing!