One of the many things I learned

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by InsaneBassninja, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Ok get this am tuneing my 5 string to Drop C but I end up bracking my strings now. The string am Useing is (Low B -125) (Low E - 105) (A -85) (D-65) and (G - 45) What should I use if am Tuneing up for Drop C? Am may go buy lighter strings if I accedly braking them.

2. Freez

Freez

Nov 8, 2008
    Detroitish
    uh...what?

3. I'm pretty sure the "Drop" in Drop C tuning means you are loosening, not tightening. What kind of strings are you using?

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    This

It sounds like you broke a B string tuning it up a half step? Seems strange.

5. Ah, forgot about the B string! Although op did say strings......

6. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    If I'm correct, Drop C is basically CGCFA (low to high), so the OP is tuning the B string UP to a C, and everything else UP a minor third, hence the breaking.

So if that's the case, you're tuning a medium gauge string up a minor third, which is a lot more than they may be able to take. I'd recommend you either get a lighter gauge (as in a 35-120 set if you can find one), or grab a medium gauge 6 string set, and use the C-E strings and tune it DOWN.

7. Only my d and g becuae I keep tanking g to a

8. I thought about that range also.

9. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Consider gauges close to;

.130 .086 .065 .047 .033

or

.124 .082 .061 .045 .031

10. Thanks this really helped.

11. Would .125, .080, .060, .045, .030 work for this?

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021