1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One of the things I love about playing music

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Skeevenmac, May 19, 2011.

1. Skeevenmac

Skeevenmac

Jan 27, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    I got a text this morning at 3:45am for a gig on Friday night. This is what it read:

Gig for u Friday if u want it And a ailable. [Name retracted] referenced u

So I said, "Sure. Details?"

I have no clue who the band is and the area code is from Arkansas - I'm in East Tennessee. The anticipation is killing me. I love pick up gigs and flying by the seat of my pants.

Wish me luck!

2. You got that right. I've done this as well and it's a blast flying by the seat of your pants. My baptism by fire was with a blues band so all I realy needed was the key and tempo and fly I did.

3. Sneakypete

Sneakypete

Jul 22, 2009
    You were awake at 03:45? That's a rock'n'roll lifestyle for sure!

4. For some of us it's called being a high school student.

5. IbanezBass69

IbanezBass69

Jul 14, 2010
    Minnesota
    If 3:45 am is high school, then your college will suck bad man. I was always in bed by 1am no matter what through high school and college. Good sleep is healthy. As for the gig, that is sweet! Best of luck to you!

6. Only weekends. haha

7. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

...when I get a text a 3:45 AM after a gig it's usually "...when will u b here hon?" ..LOL!!

Seriously, though I can dig it. I always make it point to know the material *NOTE-FOR-NOTE*...so I get a call back.

Hail hail rock 'N roll!

8. Have fun with this gig. I've never really done a gig, but I love flying by the seat of my pants.

9. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX

Feb 23, 2010
    Haha there was a night that I was at school (university music building) practicing. I'm an upright player also, so I was setting up for that, and it's kinda a process for me. Lots of things to get, prep the bow, tune, warmup, all that jazz. Just when I'm all set up and ready to work, I get a text saying "If you can be at G's (Jazz Bar) in 20 minutes I have $100 for you."

No brainer, packed up and got there in 23 min (luckily I had my amp/cab/cables/etc in the car, along with a music stand), set up, and played a two really hip sets with a keyboard friend of mine. Apparently the bass player had flaked...the area is semi-small and I'm one of the only guys that gets called anymore.

Play well at the gig, and be ready for that kind of crap to happen again! If you play well and act professional (show up early, etc.) then there's a good chance they will call you to sub again. :)

:bassist:

10. I spent a minute or two trying to figure out what a "ailable" is. At first I thought it was a misspelling of "alibi", like you can't tell your wife you're going to a gig, but the band will provide a cover story for you. "We have a gig and an alibi for you ..."

Then I realized it's a misspelling of "available". "We have a gig if you want it and are available ..."

That is much less fun. I wanted to hear the alibi.
    At first I was like :bassist: and then I :atoz:

11. You were like :atoz: over a gig? Tell me you're not a working musician :p

12. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    You're considering taking a gig from a band you've never heard of that's located AT LEAST 6 hours away?

Definitely got more balls than I do :p

13. No, man, it's not my gig. I'm not the OP. I was like :atoz: because I thought we were going to hear a funny story about why the OP needs an alibi to go to a gig, and what the alibi was that the band was offering.

14. Okay...I want to hear how the gig went. If it did.

I would be skeptical unless I actually had a conversation with the dude. I wouldn't be surprised if someone thought it would be funny to set up a non-existent gig.

15. Those random gigs are fun. I've played a few and gotten called back multiple times. I also want to see how the gig went, if it did at all?

16. Skeevenmac

Skeevenmac

Jan 27, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    The gig went great! Much better than I expected. This guy is a nut. He was climbing the rafters, literally. It was a 3-piece gig and he didn't play lead and told me to take as many solos as I wanted.

As far as the area code goes: he's local, I never did ask why he has that area code.

17. Skeevenmac

Skeevenmac

Jan 27, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    By the way, I had no idea that this thread was still going. I don't get all of my notices. lol

Thanks for the interest guys!