Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"One Of These Days" - Nancy Sinatra

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by volker, Jun 15, 2003.

1. Does anybody know who played the bass on this song? Also it sounds to me like there are two bass lines in it, a double bass (which is playing the song's characteristic part with the slide) and a picked electric one.

2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Looking through my inherited vinyl collection, I can't find the particular tune you mention. Do you mean "these Boots are Made for Walking"?

It looks like LA session players who were active in the late sixties and early seventies did a lot of her stuff. This includes Carol Kaye, Chuck Berghofer, and Ray Pohlman.

I'm pretty sure what your're hearing is called "tic-tac bass". They used to have an upright bass player and another instrumentalist on guitar - usually a Danelectro - play the same lines in the tune. The URB provided the low end and the Danelectro provided a high end snap. This was a common practice before recording technology improved and the electric bass got more popular.

3. Thanks for your reply, 20db pad! Yep, that's the song I mean!

4. ...I just did a search on Google for "These Boots/Carol Kaye", and she obviously played electric bass on this song!

5. Damn, I came in here looking for a Pink Floyd cover. Oh well.

"One of these Days" - Pink Floyd. Two basses. One chorus pedal. B.

6. Sorry for that ;) @ Gunnar Þór